The Career Services Department (CS) provides career development support for a diverse population within New York City, including job seekers, re-entry, students, career changers, veterans, and 55+ adults, to achieve their career goals. Offering free one-on-one coaching and workshops that focus on the different aspects of job search and career development. Career Services has two offices, Stavros Niarchos Foundation Library, and the Bronx Library Center.
The Outreach Coordinator works in tandem with Career Services staff to ensure the smooth execution and development of significant programming and outreach services and events. Liaise with external vendors and organizations to make programming available virtually and/or in-person and will coordinate with internal departments to produce a range of NYPL/Career Services events. They will also play a key part in collaborating on marketing materials such as flyers, signage, blogs, and overseeing social media content.
We are looking for someone we can count on to:
- Develop outreach plans and establish partnerships to promote the CS services, programs, and collections.
- Execution and development of significant public events and outreach services on the department’s calendar, and overall Career Services programming at various library branches.
- Take ownership of managing communication platforms (Lair) and social media, as well as surveying and addressing patron or branch needs through feedback
- Lead workshops regarding Career Services offerings, the development/execution of Career Services programming, Drupal entries, and use of statistics.
- Career Services strategic priorities, to be immersed in the services provided.
- Professional development resources that benefit the community.
- Digital literacy training for other library staff
- Internal and external partnerships to coordinate event logistics, increase learning goals, and usage of the department’s services.
Some expectations for this role are that within:
1 month, this person will:
- Become familiar with and understand the objective and goals of the department, as well as processes and policies
- Develop ideas for strengthening departments’ outreach initiatives
3 months, this person will:
- Visit branches within Manhattan, Staten Island, and the Bronx to deliver outreach and trainings, as needed
6 months and beyond, this person will:
- Design, schedule, promote and identify presenters to lead professional development training classes for patrons throughout the NYPL branch libraries
- Oversee the Career Services Department’s scheduling of events, Drupal entries, flyer creation/monthly program handouts, and work orders.
- Assist with identifying individuals or organizations to participate in industry-specific programs/workshops/series; manage presenter relations and serve as liaise
- Serve as content manager for social media, Drupal, and other related content for Career Services.
- Collect and maintain programming and outreach statistics.
- Coordinates activities with various organizations, businesses, and support units, responsible for logistics including monitoring the maintenance and use of audio/visual equipment, and generates reports.
- Assist with collaborative ideas to work with Adult Programming departments on their Library initiatives.
- Manage the programs & technology logistics, which include recordings, transcripts, and captioning.
- Work with manager and other NYPL staff on the production of events.
- Maintain a high level of customer service.
- Assists at the BLC Career Services office when necessary
- Travel throughout Manhattan, Bronx, and Staten Island as needed.
- Performs related duties as required.
Required Education and Certifications
- Bachelor’s Degree with a minimum of 5 years of work experience.
- Experience developing and leading virtual and in-person workshops
- Successfully demonstrated public service experience delivering career services with the ability to work well with diverse patrons.
- Strong computer skills and knowledge of using Microsoft Office programs and Google Drive products.
- Ability to speak Spanish is strongly desired.
- Adaptable to changing work environments and is a lifelong learner.
- Excellent communication skills—written and verbal—for varied audiences, including public speaking, managing group discussion, classroom management, and listening skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills with high attention to detail and ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
NYPL Core Values:
All team members are expected and encouraged to embody the NYPL Core Values:
- Be Helpful to patrons and colleagues
- Be Resourceful in solving problems
- Be Curious in all aspects of your work
- Be Welcoming and Inclusive
- Office setting
- Public library setting
- Other workshop and public speaking environments
- Limited physical effort is required
- May involve some light physical labor such as the moving and lifting of supply boxes or program supplies
- Requires travel within NYC
Pre-placement Physical Required?
- Must have flexible availability, including evenings and weekends as needed, willing to travel to various locations, as needed.
- 35 hours per week