60 South 3rd Avenue
Amani Public Charter School, a public charter school that serves students in grades 5-8 in Mount Vernon, NY, seeks to hire outstanding educational leaders as Social Studies Teacher. Social Studies/Humanities teachers at Amani Public Charter School are dedicated to promoting independent, critical thinkers inspired to read, write, speak and listen in a way that demonstrates genuine appreciation for the power of words. The Social Studies/Humanities teacher will develop and teach engaging lessons that follow the rigorous, Common Core aligned curriculum for the sixth grade. In addition, they will teach character education and study skills class. Our goal is to promote the development of academic and critical thinking skills necessary to succeed in competitive high school programs, college and the career of their choice
- Collaborate with peers on curriculum development and lesson planning.
- Utilize a wide range of assessment tools and strategies to regularly measure student progress.
- Share student work, and troubleshoot difficult issues relating to student success, difficulties and progress
- Have a complete understanding of curricular goals and objectives.
- Observe, assess, record and research instructional strategies that foster mastery of learning for students at all levels of academic achievement, including students with disabilities.
- Utilize a wide range of instructional strategies to meet students’ different learning styles and needs.
- Develop student individual and group learning goals based on data analysis, and other performance assessment indicators.
- Create and maintain conditions within the classroom that lead to accomplishment of the school mission.
- Maintain an atmosphere of high expectations for students.
- Exhibit exemplary classroom management.
- Keep accurate records of student attendance and progress.
- Communicate frequently with parents to share information, insights and student successes.
- Participate in professional development sessions.
- Engage in self-reflection and reflection on academic practices in order to succeed in achieving academic goals.
- Participate with Director of Curriculum and Instruction in developing and meeting the goals of an individualized professional development plan.
Amani Public Charter School is located in Mount Vernon, NY which is 25 minutes from midtown Manhattan. The school is walking distance from the Metro North train station and a short distance from the MTA 241st station. Amani Public Charter School is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience.Amani offers a full benefits program and opportunities for professional growth.
Generous benefits package including dental and health.
Minimum Education Required