The GreatSchools Data Science Team is seeking an analytically skilled, creative-minded person who excels at building, sharing, and improving statistical models for real-world solutions. The Data Science Analyst will develop models that form the core of GreatSchools ratings and other data products and drive public-facing reports.They will be responsible for leveraging a variety of data sources to create insights for internal and external audiences. Through this work, the Data Science Analyst will help make a measurable difference in the lives of millions of families across the country who use GreatSchools.org. This is an opportunity for someone with strong quantitative skills and a passion for increasing access to quality education.
- Develop, test, and implement statistical models to support GreatSchools’ school quality ratings.
- Maintain ratings scripts and queries using R and SQL, updating and improving as necessary based on methodology changes or standardization.
- Incorporate quality checks into ratings methodology to ensure accuracy and consistency of output.
- Build data visualizations to help colleagues and other stakeholders understand data and ratings methodology changes.
- Contribute to the creation of internally and externally facing reports on a variety of K-12 education issues.
- Serve as a resource and thought partner for Customer Service, Marketing, Engineering and other teams in the interpretation of rating methodology implementation to specific cases.
- Skilled with the core technical tools of the Data Science Team at GreatSchools
- R - Ability to write and understand complex R functions.
- SQL - Perform queries of basic to intermediate difficulty.
- Pluses include familiarity with working in a shell environment or using scripting languages such as Ruby or Python.
- Extremely detail-oriented and organized.
- Flexible and creatively-minded, comfortable with ambiguity, and able to think beyond statistical models to generate solutions.
- A strong communicator who can share technical knowledge in understandable ways to team members of diverse backgrounds and skill sets.
- Positive work ethic, sense of humor, and contributor to our fun work environment.
- Pluses: Experience working with K-12 education data, analytics or data science tools, automated reporting, and working in a non-profit.
- A passion for the GreatSchools mission, to help parents get a great education for their kids.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter, including salary requirements, and a résumé here (https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/42d7d56bcc784272866949ab8e789bba). Your cover letter should include reasons as to why you want to work for GreatSchools. Résumés without cover letters will not be considered.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage diversity in our workplace.
Minimum Education Required