At Dairy Farmers of Washington (DFW), we support dairy farmers and dairy processors through business management, marketing, public relations, sustainability and nutrition education, and advocacy. We love real dairy. We love our state. We work as one unit to drive trust and sales for Washington dairy through collaboration and innovation.
The Senior Director of Sustainability and Nutrition leads DFW’s nutrition initiatives and serves as the expert on matters of sustainability related to dairy, agriculture, and food systems in support of industry environmental stewardship goals. This position leads DFW’s Sustainable Nutrition Team and is responsible for developing strategies, building relationships, and implementing programs that enhance consumer and key stakeholder confidence in dairy. Leveraging current scientific research in sustainability and nutrition, their team will engage with third-party advocates including governmental, non-governmental, corporate organizations, academia, and schools to forge outcome-driven partnerships. The goal is to eliminate barriers to consumption and increase consumer confidence in dairy through better understanding of nutrition and food systems, leading to dietary choices that support a healthier community and planet.
This position will oversee the Washington State Dairy Council, a 501©3 nutrition education nonprofit managed by DFW. Oversight will include managing a high-functioning board of farmers, industry, and outside directors who influence strategy development and program direction.
- Oversee nutrition and sustainability initiatives including partnerships and education, and work across the organization to ensure messaging and resources are current, accurate, consistent, and effective
- Act as the subject matter expert related to sustainability and food systems
- Participate in industry working groups regionally and nationally to align local programming with current research, data, and strategies around sustainability, nutrition, education, and food systems
- Establish and support non-industry partnerships to build advocacy and increase engagement around sustainability, food systems, nutrition, and youth wellness.
- Participate on the DFW Leadership Team to support organizational direction, communication, and strategy development
- Direct and supervise staff on the Sustainable Nutrition Team to implement programming while supporting continuous growth and development
- Oversee the Washington State Dairy Council in strategy development, program implementation, board meetings, and board development
- Collaborate with management on strategy development, effective management, decision-making, staff communication, and other activities to advance organizational goals and culture
- Membership and participation with key coalitions, boards, and organizations including public health and government to protect and promote dairy at the policy level
- Serve as a leader within the industry by being well-informed on industry trends, issues, and initiatives and by staying current on environmental, nutrition and food systems related topics
- Create and implement initiatives that foster partnerships that result in net-positive outcomes for dairy farmers, consumers, and the environment in alignment with national stewardship goals
- Provides coaching, mentoring, recommendations, feedback, and support to team members across the organization
- Determine and manage an annual program budget
- Provide program measurement and reporting for stakeholders
- Bachelor’s degree in food systems, environmental science, nutrition science, environmental policy, agricultural science, or related field
- Master’s degree in related field preferred
- 10+ years of experience in sustainability, food systems, nutrition, agriculture, education, or related field
- 5+ years of experience managing a team
- Experience with program creation or grant writing related to governmental or nongovernmental entities a plus
- Experience managing and maintaining an effective program budget
- Passion for dairy, agriculture, sustainability, nutrition, food systems, and marketing
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills including presenting and public speaking
- Passion for networking, collaboration, and developing goal-driven professional relationships
- Emotional intelligence and soft skills including conflict resolution and stress management
- Ability to handle multiple, simultaneous project/partners and shifting priorities
- Strong project management skills
- Willingness to travel and work a flexible schedule
- Readiness and desire to learn new skills
- Ability to take initiative and move on new ideas
- Critical thinking with the ability to anticipate and resolve problems
- Passion for tracking success and showing results
- Proven ability to work collaboratively and creatively with a diverse team
We're powered by our inclusive work culture, where everyone has the support and resources to do the best work of their careers. Our efforts to increase consumer confidence in dairy are supported by our passion to empower people and enrich lives, a deep-rooted culture of innovation, a fundamental commitment to equity and belonging, and world-class benefits.
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment with the best employees. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law.