Details: Commensurate with experience.
District of Columbia
The U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants (USCRI) supports people who have lost or left their homes. For over 100 years, the unwavering commitment of our leadership, team, network of service providers, and advocates has helped redirect the destiny of countless vulnerable lives. In neighborhoods, in Washington, and around the world, we break down barriers and demand justice for refugees and immigrants as they successfully integrate into new communities. We provide essential social and legal services to rebuild productive lives, turning tragedy into prosperity. We are a purpose driven organization with a mission to protect the rights and address the needs of persons in forced or voluntary migration worldwide and supporting their transition to a dignified life. To learn more about our work, please visit our website at www.refugees.org.
USCRI is seeking a full-time, Legal Assistant for the Legal Services Program. The Legal Services Program provides professional immigration legal services to low-income refugees and immigrants and their families with family and humanitarian-based immigration matters before the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), the Executive Officer for Immigration Review (EOIR), and the Department of State (DOS). The Legal Assistant will provide administrative and case support to Staff Attorneys representing clients in immigration matters. The position is based in our Washington, DC office.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist attorneys with the intake process for potential clients including but not limited to scheduling and conducting screenings of individuals seeking immigration benefits;
- Assist attorneys in preparing clients for filings before U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, the Executive Office for Immigration Review, and Domestic Custody Court;
- Assist in office operations, including case management, data entry and maintenance, invoicing, and reports;
- Assist with the supervision and training of interns;
- Make appropriate referrals to other service providers and relevant community partners;
- Maintain a basic knowledge of relevant laws, policies and trends in immigration law affecting the target population;
- Support client communication and build alliances between immigrant and non-immigrant groups, civic, social, and faith-based communities;
- Provide administrative support to program staff;
- Other duties as assigned by attorneys and/or supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree or combination of education and relevant administrative support or paralegal experience;
- Minimum of 2 years of experience providing administrative support required;
- Experience working with immigrants, low-income communities, children, survivors of domestic violence, survivors or sexual assault, or other gender-based violence;
- Good communication skills, flexibility, and good humor highly desirable;
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects and competing priorities;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint and other database systems;
- Ability to work independently and as a team member with a high level of motivation and ability to meet goals;
- Fluency in Spanish is required; and
- Excellent professional judgement;
- Use of manual dexterity, tactile, visual, and audio acuity.
- Use of repetitive motion, prolonged periods of sitting and standing, and sustained visual and mental applications and demands.
- Occasional lifting (up to 25 pounds), bending, pulling, and carrying.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants is an equal opportunity employer. We maintain a policy of equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, domestic partnership status, marital status, physical or mental disability, AIDS/HIV status, age, political affiliation, genetic information, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Excellent benefits package.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a resume with cover letter describing your interest and qualifications with your online application.Apply for Legal Assistant using the link below:
References will be required at time of the final interview.
No telephone calls please. Position will remain open until filled.