91 N. Franklin Street
The Central American Refugee Center is a non-profit serving the immigrant community on Long Island. CARECEN has a three-decade long history of working on behalf of immigrants through our Hempstead and Brentwood offices.
CARECEN seeks a staff attorney to provide immigration and family court assistance to Central American children fleeing gang violence who have recently arrived in the United States. Staff attorney will also assist with family-based immigration and citizenship applications.
- Counsel and assist individuals seeking to apply for immigration benefits
- Represent immigrants at various administrative and court levels in the immigration process
- Make presentations to the immigrant community about basic legal issues
- Perform duties ordinarily associated with work at a small non-profit
- Admitted to practice of law in any state in the United States, or passed bar and awaiting admission in New York State. New law graduates who recently took the NY Bar may also apply.
- Experience in immigration law and/or family law is desirable but not required. Academic immigration law clinical experience and course work will be considered.
- Please specify levels of language fluency in Spanish and English, as well as fluency in any other languages.
CARECEN is an equality employer. Immigrants, women, persons of color, LGBT and others are encouraged to apply.
Medical insurance after waiting period
Level of Language Proficiency
- Fluent in spoken Spanish and English
- Fluent in written English
Minimum Education Required