Details: Commensurate with experience.
1904 Franklin Street
The Communications Director is a member of NCSE’s leadership team. The director provides the strategic vision for NCSE’s external communications and enhances the organization’s effectiveness by promoting its work to diverse audiences, including members, the media, education and scientific communities, local communities, and the general public. Responsibilities include:
- Develop an annual strategic communications plan that establishes goals and priorities for future investment to broaden NCSE’s outreach and enhance its effectiveness in reaching target audiences and making meaningful impacts.
- Develop key messages for NCSE audiences and work with staff to implement consistent organizational messaging and branding.
- Conduct research and analysis to identify communications trends and opportunities.
- Create new strategies to further NCSE’s reach and impact through social media and other platforms.
- In coordination with staff and a website developer/designer, create and implement a plan to design a new mobile device-friendly NCSE website.
- Manage the organization’s website and the blog, scheduling and editing staff-written blog posts
- Create image-driven posts about NCSE and related topics for social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter.
- Work with a videographer to create program-related videos for select constituencies.
- Support staff to obtain video recordings of their speaking engagements and promote them on NCSE’s YouTube channel, on its website, and in the e-newsletter.
- Create metrics and analyze the results for NCSE’s social media strategies to determine their effectiveness, using, for example, Google Analytics, Google Adwords, Twitter Analytics, Facebook Insights, and other social media metric tools.
- Identify and cultivate reporters, editors and producers at top media outlets so NCSE becomes a resource on science education issues.
- Train key staff in delivering NCSE’s messages to media representatives.
- Write and disseminate press releases and follow-up with reporters at top media outlets.
- Field media inquiries, set up interviews with key staff, and prepare staff with talking points for the interviews.
- Create and maintain media contacts in Salesforce database.
- Supervise and guide editor responsible for producing quarterly print newsletter.
- Work with Development Director to create, design, and print donor-focused collateral materials, such as annual reports, an organization brochure, and program-related materials.
- Create communications report for board meetings that includes high-level annual communications plans and strategies, communications-related statistics, and highlights of media coverage.
- Create and maintain a communications calendar.
- Develop protocols and procedures documents to streamline and guide NCSE’s communications efforts.
- Five or more years of communications experience.
- Outstanding written and verbal skills.
- Track record of strategically enhancing marketing and communications efforts at nonprofit organizations.
- Experience with website and email campaign design and management.
- Skills in using a variety of social media platforms to enhance communications efforts for nonprofit organizations.
- Familiarity working with the media, including reporters, producers, and editors.
- Solid experience in WordPress, Constant Contact, and Photoshop.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, as well as Google products.
- Familiarity with communications-related technology, including Salesforce (or comparable database), Google Analytics, Google Adwords, Twitter Analytics, Facebook Insights, and other marketing and social media metric tools.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work closely and constructively with others.
- Ability to manage time effectively, handle multiple tasks, and set and meet deadlines.
- Strong creative skills combined with outstanding attention to detail.
Additional Desired Qualifications
- Demonstrated interest in science education, climate change, or evolution, including familiarity with the issues, literature, and stakeholders in those fields.
- Experience with website development and graphic design software and application.
- Familiarity with video production.
Compensation includes health and dental insurance and standard vacation time. NCSE also administers a 403(b) retirement plan. After one year of employment, NCSE matches up to five percent of the employee’s salary to the retirement plan.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a letter of interest and résumé to: firstname.lastname@example.org. No telephone calls, please.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. NCSE is an equal opportunity employer. NCSE supports and values diversity. People of color, LGBTQ persons, and women are strongly encouraged to apply.