145 West 28th Street
Intersections International is dedicated to bringing diverse people together across lines of difference while building bridges of hope. We develop programs that lead communities and individuals to forge common ground, and advance strategies to promote justice, reconciliation and to build peace. Founded in 2007, Intersections is an inter-religious, multicultural, global social justice ministry of The Collegiate Church of New York, the oldest corporation in North America, dating back to 1628. We use our deep roots to take the long view of social transformation. For more information visit us at www.intersections.org.
At Intersections International, which has consultative status at the United Nations (UN), we envision a time when our distinct identities no longer incite division, discrimination, destruction and despair. We envision a just world – united in diversity, where human differences serve to advance connection, equality, respect and social protection for all people. This includes historically marginalized groups such as women, children and the elderly; people with different physical abilities; all people of color; immigrants; refugees; persons who are lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, transgender, queer, intersex and asexual; indigenous and first peoples; and Latina, Latino, Latinx and Hispanic people.
Under the direction of the Interim Program Manager, the Digital and Creative Content Specialist will bring creative writing, narrative building, story-telling and expertise in digital media, social media and digital communication forms (e.g. film, podcasts, blogs) as a means to promote social change. Candidates should demonstrate an understanding of intersectionality and a commitment to racial and economic justice. A familiarity with civil rights movements, non-discrimination issues of relevance to LGBTQIA communities and an ability to see the world through a non-hetero normative lens is a plus.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
· Identify and create multi-media content to promote the mission of Intersections International and its key programs in justice and advocacy, such as Believe Out Loud – a dynamic and far-reaching network that empowers Christians and faith leaders to promote LGBTQIA inclusion and equality. The position also will post content to itscomplicated.vet, an online platform for veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces, active duty military personnel and partners.
· Position Intersections International and its key programs as a thought leader and identify opportunities to increase visibility on core social media channels. This would include blog posts, tweets and communications activities around programs, such as Intersections humanitarian relief work in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, or partnership work created through its activities at the United Nations.
· Research and author blog posts, draft emails, tweets and other social media content, and posting content to the website and core social media platforms.
· Develop relationships with outside bloggers, writers and other content creators. Being familiar with trends and new voices, who might be eligible to participate in BOL’s blogger program, and the ability to identify topics for articles and contributions from marginalized or underrepresented communities is a plus.
· Liaise with denominational and movement partners on behalf of the Believe Out Loud (BOL) team.
· Develop and post content that might inform digital faith outreach and justice organizing.
· Identify opportunities for on-campus and multi-generational outreach within the context of social media and public discourse.
· Work to ensure the website content is fresh and up-to-date.
· Monitor social media metrics and analyze emerging trends to inform media strategies.
· Spanish language skills a plus.
· Bachelor’s Degree (B.A. in English, Communications, Journalism or Creative Writing, nonprofit communications, social media marketing or related fields) required with M.F.A. preferred). Writing samples should be submitted with inquiries.
· Experience planning, developing and promoting social media content for issue-based or political advocacy organizations.
· Experience with faith-based organizations or communities is a bonus.
· Excellent written communications skills, including editing and social media engagement, are required.
· A professional and resourceful style with demonstrated ability to take initiative, work independently and manage multiple tasks or projects will be helpful.
· This position will best be filled by a collaborative, results-oriented team player who brings a mindset for getting projects completed.
· Detail-orientation with strong organizational skills, and an ability to engage and inspire respect and confidence of bloggers, freelancers and other content providers is a key success factor. May occasionally need to work under tight deadlines while still delivering a strong work product.
· Innovative thinking by candidates who are open to experimentation is desired, with special preference for those who understand cross-platform integration of all digital forms.
· Ideal candidates will be those who demonstrate global curiosity and a commitment to social justice.
· An understanding of visual imagery, graphic design, editorial engagement, headline writing and best use of mobile platforms is preferred.
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook); Adobe Creative Cloud (i.e., Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Premiere Pro); is required along with complete understanding of diverse and evolving social media platforms and products (e.g., Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Tumblr, YouTube, Reddit, etc.)
· CMS experience, SEO knowledge, experience with digital marketing tools like Salsa and basic HTML, XHTML and CSS are important. Candidates should be able to seamlessly work and communicate with third party website builders and website maintenance workers.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is competitive. Comprehensive benefits include medical, dental and ancillary benefits; vacation and holidays; life insurance; flexible spending pre-tax plans and commuter pre-tax benefits.
The position is situated in an open workspace environment. The work week is 35 hours per week, 7 hours a day Monday through Friday. Overtime work in the evening or on weekends may be required to complete direct service, travel or humanitarian relief tasks and activities. Occasionally may be required to lift moderately heavy objects (up to 25 pounds) during the course of the workday.
Intersections International is an equal opportunity employer and proactively takes steps to recruit, hire and promote women, minorities, disabled individuals and veterans. Intersections is committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff. People of color, transgender and gender-nonconforming people, people with abilities in multiple languages, immigrants, and people who are abled differently are encouraged to apply.
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish language skills a plus.
Minimum Education Required