47 Maple Street
Organizational Profile and Culture
1% for the Planet is a global organization that connects dollars and doers to accelerate smart environmental giving. We are motivated by our recognition that the current level of environmental giving - only 3% of total philanthropy - is not enough to solve the most pressing issues facing our planet. Through our business and individual membership, 1% for the Planet inspires people to support environmental organizations through annual membership and everyday actions. We advise on giving strategies, we certify donations, and we amplify the impact of the network.
Started in 2002 by Yvon Chouinard, founder of Patagonia, and Craig Mathews, founder of Blue Ribbon Flies, our members have given more than $175 million to environmental nonprofits to date. Today, 1% for the Planet is a network of more than 1,400 member businesses, a new and expanding core of hundreds of individual members, and thousands of nonprofit partners in more than 40 countries. Our headquarters are located in Burlington, VT with staff located around the world.
Our organization has an entrepreneurial culture that demands leadership and innovation from all levels, with each staff member representing a critical component of organizational success. We are looking for committed, passionate leaders, wanting to make a positive change in the environmental landscape.
The Leadership Gift Officer position is designed to build and expand upon 1% for the Planet’s existing philanthropic pipeline – generating increased funding to directly fuel the work and mission of our organization. The primary focus of the Leadership Gift Officer position will be to steward current donors, identify new potential prospects, regularly engage in 1:1 visitation, and rapidly move individual prospects through the donor continuum to achieve successful gift solicitation and closure. S/he will be an integral member of the Development Team – creating and implementing strategies for superb donor engagement that lead to successful gift solicitation and closure.
<img src="//:0" alt="page1image21656" height="0.480000" width="202.560000"><img src="//:0" alt="page1image21816" height="0.480000" width="82.800000">1
The Leadership Gift Officer should be a professional who is passionate about our planet and our work, and eager to directly grow philanthropic support for our organization as we endeavor to grow our movement and our impact. A proven track record of managing a donor portfolio and demonstrated experience with prospect visitation, gift solicitation, and closure are essential.
The current team at 1% for the Planet is small, but scrappy. Each of us is deeply committed to accelerating the mission of the organization, and we see every person and position throughout the organization as holding equal import to our success. We all dig deep to achieve our objectives, but we also believe in celebrating success and loving what we do every day.
The Ideal Candidate:
The ideal candidate is a high-energy and confident self-starter who is ready to roll up her/his sleeves to get the job done. The 1% for the Planet team is entrepreneurial, innovative, and motivated. Outside of our work, we mirror our members’ enthusiasm for the planet, for giving back, and for the desire to make the world a better place. Our team is composed of self-directed, creative, and innovative thinkers who actively embrace opportunities for growth and regularly use influence and persistence to identify and secure additional resources to drive the mission forward. The ideal Leadership Gift Officer will be driven, adaptable, and able to navigate ambiguous situations. While s/he will thrive in a collaborative environment, the ideal candidate for this position must be particularly adept at independently contributing to the organization’s success with limited resources.
The Leadership Gift Officer will execute a number of strategies and tactics focused on driving philanthropic revenues in support of 1% for the Planet as an organization. The Leadership Gift Officer will be part of the Development Team and will report to the CEO.
The person in this role will focus in the following three areas of work:
- Identify, develop, and manage a portfolio of approximately 150+ leadership gift prospects while regularly engaging in the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of assigned donors.
- Employ tactics such as cold-calling, lead-letters, and LinkedIn utilization to both grow a prospect pool and achieve a visitation goal of 10-15 substantive donor and/or prospect meetings per month.
- Effectively move prospects through all stages of the donor continuum – while maintaining a primary focus on gift solicitation and closure in order to meet or exceed the organization’s budgeted development targets.
Overall, the Leadership Gift Officer will be responsible for:
- Developing and managing a portfolio of 150+ individual donors and/or prospects.
- Developing 5-10 lead foundation prospects.
- Acting as a frontline (externally focused) fundraiser while seeking to
- strategically identify/cultivate new relationships through proactive
- Undertaking strategies for the identification, qualification, cultivation,
- and solicitation of individuals with capacity to give gifts of $1,000 to
- $50,000+ on an annual basis.
- Working collaboratively with the Development Team to determine and
- set in motion donor strategies for assigned prospects.
- Working collaboratively, acquire a deep understanding of 1% for the
- Planet’s mission and programs.
- Staying well-versed on 1% for the Planet programs and outcomes to
- support effective gift solicitation and closure.
- Achieving 10-15 substantive donor and/or prospect visits per month.
- Ensuring the timely documentation of contact reports and other donor
- information utilizing Salesforce.
- Projecting and tracking leadership gifts and revenues, and maintaining
- diligent expense management. The Leadership Gift Officer will be expected to effectively adjust strategies when necessary according to results.
- Through regular internal prospect strategy meetings, working collaboratively with the Development Team to regularly coordinate on comprehensive outreach and solicitation strategies involving the comprehensive donor pipeline.
- Crafting pledge/gift agreements with prospects and donors.
- Ensuring assigned donors are effectively stewarded and receive regular
- stewardship communications as to the impact of their giving.
- Organizing and implementing 4-5 donor engagement/cultivation events
- in target areas identified in collaboration with the Development Team.
- Bringing donor and community feedback into 1% for the Planet, to assist
- with program development and strategic planning.
- Embracing the entrepreneurial spirit of our work by undertaking other
- responsibilities, projects, and initiatives as assigned.
Job Qualifications – the ideal candidate for this position will have:
- Undergraduate degree or the equivalent
- 2-3 years of related professional experience, including a demonstrated
- track record of gift solicitation and closure as a frontline fundraiser.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to develop deep relationships with stakeholders, remotely from
- your desk as well as through in-person visitation.
- Experience and comfort with utilizing CRM software (e.g. Salesforce).
- A demonstrated understanding of moves management and the donor
- Excellent organization and time management skills
- A passion for the role of the nonprofit sector, sustainable business, and
- strategic partnerships to drive broader environmental impact.
- Established proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word & Excel) and Google Suite.
- A high degree of critical thinking ability and willingness to take initiative.
- A valid driver’s license and the ability to undertake extensive travel. This is a frontline fundraising position, which will involve robust visitation metrics and the routine 1:1 engagement, cultivation, and solicitation of donors and prospects.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How To Apply
This position is a tremendous opportunity for the right person. This job requires a very high level of initiative and commitment and the rewards are commensurate. We offer a competitive compensation package as well as the opportunity to play a key role in growing and shaping an organization that is fueling significant change.
The 1% for the Planet brand has incredibly strong, authentic qualities, imparted by our Founders and supported by longstanding member companies like Patagonia, New Belgium Brewing and Klean Kanteen. Today, companies of all sizes and from a variety of sectors spread across 40 countries embrace our brand! Growing a global movement that is highly relevant, inspiring and impactful for all network constituents – companies, across sizes and industries, non-profits and consumers -- is a phenomenal chance to enrich one’s career and the Planet at the same time. Join us!
This position will be based in Burlington, VT – though extensive travel will be expected. To apply, please send a cover letter and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.