1300 Spring Street
HIAS seeks an Asylee Outreach Specialist to develop and implement a comprehensive outreach strategy targeting asylees, particularly Central Americans, who can potentially benefit from federal resources available and administered by the State of Maryland. The duration of this assignment is one year with the possibility of an extension based on funding.
- Researches available refugee/asylee services in Maryland; gather data regarding the numbers of asylees in Maryland who are eligible for benefits.
- Under supervision of the Post-Asylum Legal Services Manager, engages at least 20 Resettlement Agencies (RAs) and other refugee serving organizations in development of an outreach strategy.
- Develops written and multimedia outreach materials indicating available services in a way that is easily understood.
- Designs an outreach strategy with input from each engaged RA that serves asylees.
- Provides in-person seminars to groups of asylees who could potentially benefit from public benefits.
- Gathers data on all asylees reached; provides periodic reports to supervisor and the State of Maryland.
- Develops standard operating procedures (SOP) to ensure that clients are distributed equitably among RAs.
- Refers all clients to appropriate RAs and Local Department of Social Services (LDSS) offices based on established SOPs.
- Advises each client of the documents they should take with them to the referred service provider.
- Works with service providers to track the result of each referral.
- Participates in State-convened task forces and consultations.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Undergraduate degree required.
- Strong interest in refugee protection and human rights.
- Fluency (oral and written) in Spanish required; proficiency in additional languages is preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and experience working with clients of all backgrounds.
- Familiarity with non-profits and other community organizations in the state of Maryland that serve asylees and their families.
- Strong project management experience required, including systems creation and implementation.
- Excellent public speaking skills; experienced with media appearances preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and handle multiple priorities under a strict time deadline.
- Self-initiated and motivated.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in Spanish (oral and written) required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter to our website, http://www.hias.org/career-and-internship-opportunities