Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
PPFA is seeking a Director of Prospect Development and Strategy to lead a team of prospect management and research professionals that support the Principal and Major Gifts team. Reporting to the National Director of Principal and Major Gifts, the Director will serve as a key member of the PMG leadership team, and oversee a team of four. The director will play an integral role in developing cultivation and fundraising strategies for top individual prospects/donors. He/She is responsible for the overall coordination and production of information on major donors, for tracking cultivation and solicitation progress, and for prospect identification. The Director will also work closely with Planned Parenthood affiliates participating in the Collaborative Fundraising Program (CFP) to support their major gifts efforts and collaborate with the Mid-Level Fundraising team on moving donors through the pipeline.
The Director will be based at the organization’s national office in New York City.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and implement annual and long-term goals and strategies, in collaboration with front line fundraisers and senior development staff.
- Mentor, motivate and coordinate work flow for a team of four staff, including the team that executes the daily prospect management activities (including regular portfolio review meetings and the development of monthly metrics and dashboards) and the team providing research and analysis of major donors and prospects, including capacity ratings, indicators of interest in the organization’s programs and connections to other key constituents.
- Serve as a thought partner for PPFA senior development leadership on organization wide fundraising activities. Also serve as an advisor to the affiliate Major Gifts Work group, providing guidance on industry best practices.
- Under the direction of the VP of Development and in partnership with the Senior Director of the CFP program, support the Planned Parenthood Affiliates in the Collaborative Fundraising Program in their efforts to increase focus on major gift fundraising, including support of discovery and qualification activities, portfolio development, pipeline management and research requests.
- Directly support all phases of expanding the Collaborative Fundraising Program, including assisting new and potential partners with market analysis, training and onboarding, portfolio set up and other needs as they arise.
- Curate portfolios for new and existing National and Affiliate staff, and refine discovery and qualification process.
- Partner with front line fundraisers and colleagues in PMG Strategic Operations team, Stewardship, Development Systems and Revenue Operations to ensure department wide policies and procedures align with Principal and Major Gifts team’s habits of work.
- Develop relationships across the Development Department and with CFP partners to create both the policies and practices and the collaborative working environment to move donors through the pipeline.
- Serve as a member of the PMG Leadership Team and the broader Development Leadership Team.
- Keep abreast of developments in the field of prospect development by attending training sessions and communicating with other researchers by means of national and state professional organizational memberships, conferences, and electronic mailing lists focusing on prospect research and fundraising issues
- Maintain the highest level of ethics and confidentiality as defined by the prospect research profession and Planned Parenthood policies and practices.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- 8+ years of experience of directly-related, progressively responsible experience in prospect research and data management and communication.
- Experience in leading a team, including the development and implementation of a strategic vision and mentoring and motivating staff.
- A proactive, creative thinker with independent judgment and initiative.
- A team player with proven ability to develop relationships and work collaboratively within a growing, changing organization.
- Current knowledge of industry trends and useful new approaches, services and tools.
- Excellent written, presentation and communication skills.
- Knowledge, skill and ease of use with technology required including familiarity with Microsoft Office software, fundraising database applications and wealth screen tools including commercial on-line databases (e.g. NEXIS, DIALOG, Dow Jones), and Internet resources; Confidence and ability in learning new technologies as needed. Knowledge of Salesforce preferred.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- An optimistic outlook and a flexible, innovative nature.
- Unquestioned integrity and a commitment to the highest ethical standards.
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Results oriented.
- Outstanding organizational skills including strong attention to detail.
- The ability to multitask and uphold deadlines within tight timeframes, and demonstrated adaptability, flexibility and resourcefulness in setting priorities and managing resources in a fast-paced environment.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.