For 50 years, the National Partnership for Women & Families has fought for every major policy advance that has helped this nation’s women and families. Our mission is to improve the lives of women and families by achieving equality for all women. Founded in 1971 as the Women’s Legal Defense Fund, the National Partnership is a nonprofit, nonpartisan 501(c)3 organization located in Washington, D.C. with a $9 million budget and $18 million endowment
Our organization is undergoing an intensive change process to ensure that we are more equitable, diverse and inclusive in our big picture strategies as well as our everyday work. And we are continually working to attack racism, discrimination and hatred wherever we see it.
We are seeking a Senior Accountant to join our 2 person finance team, that handles all financial matters for the organization. A successful Senior Accountant combines excellent analytical skills with a thorough knowledge of accounting principles as well as experience collaborating / supervising / mentoring staff accountants with an understanding of how race dynamics impact supervisory relationships and organizational culture.
The National Partnership is hiring a Senior Accountant to manage the organization’s financial processes and responsibilities. The Senior Accountant is responsible for performing accounting, financial processing and data management functions. This includes systems administration and management of Microsoft Dynamics/Netsuite functions, maintaining and reconciling the general ledger, including month-end and year-end closings, managing and reconciling accounts payable and receivable, donor reconciliations, bank reconciliations, general ledger entries, grants accounting and reporting, preparation of audit schedules, assisting with forecasting and budgeting and other critical fiscal management responsibilities. The Senior Accountant will adhere to and seek to improve existing internal controls while complying with and staying abreast of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). The Senior Accountant plays a key role in the National Partnership’s ability to meet its program goals and, ultimately, achieve its mission. Willingness to be flexible and adaptable in a smaller environment. This position reports to the Director of Finance.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
● All general ledger functions
● including processing and entering journal entries
● Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable – including reconciling on a monthly basis
● Prepare and process semi-monthly Payroll and employee expense reimbursements and other related processes
● Ensure employee benefits, reimbursements, contributions, garnishments are properly recorded in payroll and work closely with Human Resources to reconcile.
● Revenue collection including transfer and reconciliation of data from the donations platforms
● Grants reporting and budget tracking
● Overhead allocations and revenue releases
● Maintenance and improvement of chart of accounts
● Plan, assign, supervise and review staff’s work
● Supervise and review the reconciliation of credit card purchases to monthly statements and ensure timely posting
● Perform all cash account reconciliations for all relevant bank accounts
● Ensure compliance with generally accepted accounting principles
● Supervise vendor relationships and resolution of billing issues
● Manage the 1099 and W-2 year-end process
● Assist in the annual budgeting process
● Assists in the annual financial audit and any other audits as required
● Assist with 990 preparation as well as any other tax issues
● Assist with research and implementation of all technologies that enable greater efficiencies in Finance
● Respond to requests for information from regulatory sources, customers, vendors or donors
● Assist with new opportunities such as government sponsored loan or grant programs
● Bachelor's degree in accounting required; CPA preferred
● At least two years’ work experience in a Senior Accountant position
● Must have supervisory experience
● Nonprofit experience and knowledge of nonprofit accounting standards
● Strong analytical and organizational skills
● Demonstrated ability to maintain the department’s information and materials in an accurate and organized way with strong attention to detail
● Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
● Demonstrated ability to use time management in order to manage multiple assignments simultaneously and deliver work on time with limited supervision
● Advanced knowledge of basic accounting procedures and GAAP
● Experience with general ledger functions and the month-end/year-end close process
● Hands-on experience with accounting software such as Netsuite, Microsoft Dynamics/Great Plains, Intacct or others.
● Team player with a positive attitude and the ability to interact with all levels of the organization
● Consistently articulates an equity lens and analysis into work product by addressing structural implications and disproportionate impacts of policies, activities, and decisions on race, class, gender and other group identities within the context of job responsibilities and projects
● Has an understanding of how race and intersectional dynamics impact supervisory relationships and works to deepen a justice and equity approach within the team
● Must be dedicated to mentoring and developing the skills and knowledge of team members
Salary & Benefits
The minimum compensation for this position is $77,250. The National Partnership provides a generous benefits package that includes paid sick time, paid federal holidays plus the last week of December, 3 weeks annual vacation time, health, dental, and vision coverage, 403B and SEP-IRA retirement options, and paid family and medical leave for eligible employees. The National Partnership is temporarily offering ad-hoc administrative leave for our employees during COVID-19 pandemic, recognizing that we all have a range of care-giving needs, including self-care and care for others, during this challenging time.
This is a full-time position based in our Washington, D.C. office. In order to ensure the safety of our staff during the COVID-19 pandemic, all National Partnership staff members are currently working remotely and are not travelling or holding in-person meetings. This position reports to the Finance Director.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY. Applications accepted until September 24th, 2021.
Office and Team Culture
The National Partnership is a 45-person staff that fosters a collaborative culture. We have a casual work environment but we understand deadlines and know how to get things done. The Finance team encourages quick and short meetings when necessary, promotes collaborative work processes and encourages staff to pursue professional development and lifetime learning.
The National Partnership is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to racial equity and social justice. We make a particular effort to recruit people of color to apply for open positions. People of color, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, and people impacted by systemic racism and oppression are encouraged to apply. Please see EEO is the Law and Equal Employment Opportunity for more information.
For 50 years, the National Partnership for Women & Families has fought for every major policy advance that has helped this nation’s women and families. Our mission is to improve the lives of women and families by achieving equality for…
The National Partnership provides a generous benefits package that includes paid sick time, paid federal holidays plus the last week of December, 3 weeks annual vacation time, health, dental, and vision coverage, 403B and SEP-IRA retirement options, and paid family and medical leave for eligible employees. The National Partnership is temporarily offering ad-hoc administrative leave for our employees during COVID-19 pandemic, recognizing that we all have a range of care-giving needs, including self-care and care for others, during this challenging time.
The National Partnership provides a generous benefits package that includes paid sick time, paid federal holidays plus the last week of December, 3 weeks annual vacation time…
Please submit resume through the National Partnership's website.
Please submit resume through the National Partnership's website.