2021-2022 Interim Administrative Director
Part-time (approx. 15 to 20 hours/week), Salaried, begins immediately and goes through June 30, 2022.
The Administrative Director serves as a mission-driven leader who oversees the non-educational administration and infrastructure of the school in collaboration with the Director of Education, Business Manager, and Board of Directors.
Families Together Cooperative Nursery School (FTCNS, www.ftcns.org) is a DCFS-licensed, NAEYC accredited cooperative preschool that has operated for 20+ years in Chicago’s Edgewater neighborhood. The school provides a play-based educational environment where parents and caregivers are integral to the life of the school. At our core is a commitment to equity and anti-oppression practices, genuine collaboration between educators, families and children, and a creative and flexible approach to supporting each child’s cognitive, social and emotional growth. We offer part-day morning and afternoon preschool classes for 90 students, ages 2.5 to 6, along with a lunch program and summer camp.
FTCNS is seeking a skilled administrative leader to serve as Interim Administrative Director as we prepare to welcome a new permanent Director in 2022. The Interim Administrative Director would be eligible to apply for the permanent position if interested. The FTCNS school year runs from late-August to the beginning of June with a summer camp until the end of June.
Overall Approach to Leadership
- Leads with a focus on building strong relationships and connections.
- Fosters collaboration and seeks input from various stakeholders.
- An understanding of how to apply equity-centered, anti-bias practices to all aspects of the life of the school.
- A devotion to continuously increasing their own cultural competence and inspiring others to do the same.
Admissions, Enrollment, Marketing, and External Networking
- Work with Business Manager and Board to maintain and/or establish connections with community organizations and institutions, including local government, Chambers of Commerce, organizations serving groups that have been historically under-represented in private preschools, and other public and private institutions serving young children.
- Stay abreast of developments in early childhood administration and cooperative preschools.
- Provide guidance and support to Business Manager on admissions including summer camp and enrichment class registration processes.
Marketing, Branding & Fundraising
- Lead visioning and execution of annual marketing plan.
- Work with the Board to develop short-term fundraising and long-range fundraising goals and plans.
- Collaborate with Fundraising Chair(s) in implementing and communicating about fundraising initiatives.
- Lead overall branding and marketing strategy of the school
- Provide guidance and support to Business Manager, Board Members, and volunteers regarding website maintenance/development, social media, print advertising and other marketing initiatives.
- Ensure consistent branding, messaging, and communication is being achieved and in alignment with school mission and vision.
- Collaborate with Director of Education to regularly share school updates and information with the parent community via email, newsletters and other methods as appropriate.
- Lead the following processes, in collaboration with Treasurer, Accountant, Business Manager, Board, and Director of Education:
- Create an annual budget forecast with input from staff and Board.
- Determine annual tuition schedule needed to support programmatic expenses.
- Ensure that financial analyses and projections support strategic planning and programmatic decision-making.
- Ensure that reserve money is in appropriate interest-bearing accounts.
- Ensure school is on track with budget vs. actuals throughout the year.
- Work with Business Manager, Treasurer, and Accountant to ensure a smooth annual audit of the school’s finances.
- Supervise and support Business Manager in the successful completion of responsibilities and meeting professional development goals.
- Collaborate with Director of Education as needed to keep staff informed about school-wide issues and initiatives and to include staff in collaborative decision making.
- Collaborate with Director of Education to create staff assignments, schedules, offer letters, contracts, etc.
- Oversee staff hiring processes in collaboration with Director of Education, Human Resources Committee and Business Manager.
- Act as point of contact for fundraising, human resources, treasurer, and secretary board members.
- Supervise staff member in charge of supply ordering/organization and ensure that the following processes are successfully executed by the staff member.
- Order classroom supplies as needed and ensure maintenance of classrooms.
- Complete purchase of bulk classroom consumable supplies two or three times per year, as needed.
- Execute & sign off on monthly fire drills and biannual severe weather drills; maintain drill logs.
Cooperative/Board Collaboration & Support
- Work with the Board and Director of Education to develop a transition plan to have a permanent director(s) in place.
- Work with Board President(s) to develop monthly board meeting agendas with input from Director of Education.
- Work with the Business Manager on the school calendar and event planning and scheduling.
- Support the school’s long-range/strategic planning processes by attending long-range/strategic planning meetings and assisting in the development of goals and priorities.
- Implement strategic planning tasks related to non-educational goals for FTCNS.
- Lead organization of parent community meetings (September New Parent Orientation, various committee meetings, January Parent Meeting, spring Enrollment Meetings) with input from Director of Education, Board, Business Manager, and teachers as appropriate.
- Lead process of designing and implementing procedures that promote thorough, consistent record-keeping by Board members and the effective transfer of institutional and committee knowledge to their incoming replacements. Ensure that this process is completed annually.
- Ensure that relevant, effective annual DAOB (Diversity, Anti-Oppression & Belonging) training for Board members and parent community is implemented.
Physical Space Maintenance
- Ensure that classroom layout maps are created and updated as needed (by assigned teaching or admin staff) for Sunday night set-up.
- Lead process of addressing issues that come up related to maintenance, improvement, and repair physical spaces.; work with church representatives, professionals and/or volunteers to determine appropriate solutions and timeframes.
- Serve as primary contact for landlord regarding lease agreements, room reservations, and facilities issues.
- Ensure that classroom space and storage areas are organized and maintained according to school policy, DCFS regulations, City of Chicago codes and church expectations.
- Ensure that weekly classroom breakdowns are completed in an organized manner and safe arrangement that complies with church expectations. Supervise classroom breakdown volunteers.
- After classroom maps are completed by education staff, serve as point person with Sunday night classroom set-up crews and classroom/office cleaner.
Minimum requirements for the position include:
- A bachelor’s degree.
- Demonstrated successful experience collaborating and working with parents.
- Proficiency in using Google applications (including Gmail, Drive and Docs, Photos, Calendar, Slides and Sheets), Survey Monkey, MailChimp, MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- The ability to see clearly at close and far distance, stand and walk for long periods, lift up to 50 pounds, climb stairs in a building that is not fully accessible, and crouch, kneel, stoop or crawl with ease. (Modifications may be made to enable qualified individuals with permanent or temporary disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.)
- Willingness to: furnish written information regarding any criminal convictions; submit to fingerprinting and an Illinois Department of Child and Family Services (DCFS) background check; provide a recent state health examination form completed by a healthcare professional, including proof of required immunizations.
Preferred qualifications for the position include:
- Demonstrated successful experience in school leadership and volunteer management.
- A bachelors or Masters degree in:
- Non-profit Administration
- Non-profit Management
- NGO Management
Please send your resume and a cover letter explaining why your experience and skills would make you a great fit for this position and our school to email@example.com by September 15, 2021. Questions/inquiries may also be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
FTCNS is an employer that is actively engaged in work to nurture and increase our diversity, promote equity, and combat oppression. People of color and LGBTQIA candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. FTCNS provides equal opportunity employment to all employees and job applicants regardless of race, culture, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, military discharge status, or any other classification protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws.
Families Together Cooperative Nursery School
1500 W. Elmdale Avenue
Chicago, IL 60660