District of Columbia
Thurgood Marshall Academy in Washington, DC, seeks a highly-motivated Operations Associate to join its Operations department as a full-time, year-round employee. The incumbent will be responsible for operations assistance and will serve as the school’s liaison for the Savoy & Thurgood Marshall Academy Sports & Learning Center.
Thurgood Marshall Academy is a public, law-themed charter school in the District of Columbia that prepares an enrollment of roughly 400 students in grades 9-12 to succeed in college and to actively engage in our democratic society. Applicants can learn more about Thurgood Marshall Academy by visiting the school’s website: www.thurgoodmarshallacademy.org.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The incumbent will report to the Assistant Director of Operations (“ADO”) and serve as a key point-of-contact in support of school operations; specific duties will fall into a number of areas:
· Clerical & business operations duties such as:
o Serve as the main school-wide point-of-contact for supply orders, inventory, and other procurement support
o Gather HR and compliance documents from employees
o Sort and distribute mail and faxes;
o Filing, including scanning, storing, filing, and retrieving documents and data;
o Support accounts-payable work;
o Oversee copiers and other office equipment;
o Stock the break room;
o Serve as an assistant on special projects—work closely with the Chief Operating Officer and Executive Director on projects that require effective writing, research, and project management;
o Provide administrative coverage when the ADO is on leave or unavailable.
· Athletic Coordinator
o Serve as the athletic center’s primary point-of-contact for Thurgood Marshall Academy and Savoy faculty and staff;
o Work closely with Thurgood Marshall Academy and Savoy building engineering staff and cleaners to ensure the smooth operation of the facility;
o Schedule and provide on-site support at Thurgood Marshall Academy sponsored events, assisting with event setup and breakdown;
o Following guidance from the Athletics Director and in consultation with the Assistant Director of Operations (to avoid any conflicts with Operations Associate duties), provide support for Athletics Program.
o Serve as the Athletics Study Hall Monitor, including taking and reporting attendance, supervision of daily study hall;
o Engage with faculty to support athletes’ academic eligibility and success;
o Secure permits for off-site athletic facilities;
o Schedule buses for games and other athletics events;
· Other Duties
o All on-site faculty and staff take on some student supervision work; the Operations Associate may be one of several lunch-room monitors or the like;
o Assumes other appropriate duties and responsibilities as requested.
· Bachelor’s degree preferred
· One to two years’ full-time experience working in a professional office environment
· Experience in a school, youth-center, or educational setting preferred
· Computer skills—proficiency in Windows and MS Office Suite required
· Effective and professional written and verbal communications skills
· Experience in scheduling, working with contractors, and/or overseeing complex logistical tasks
· Highly organized, detail-oriented self-starter with the ability to work independently
· Discretion and ability to work with confidential materials, such as personnel files
· Collegial, team-oriented working style and the ability to work well with teenagers
· Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds; this position requires moderate physical activity such as moving gym equipment and event set up.
· Ability and willingness to undertake evening/weekend work and occasional local travel
All employees are subject to the successful completion of a background check; employees must also provide upon request other documentation of eligibility for employment, including but not limited to TB test results and verification of credentials.
Thurgood Marshall Academy offers a competitive salary and benefits.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submit cover email and resume via this site. Review of applicants will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Please see our website for further information including our equal opportunity employment/non-discrimination statement.