Job Description Summary
The Measurement, Evaluation, and Research (MER) team advises and works with divisions throughout the organization to implement best practices around outcomes-based planning, monitoring, evaluation, and learning. As National Geographic refines its portfolio to best deliver on its mission, we seek a systems thinking rock star with extensive experience and expertise in program evaluation and data management to lead the development and implementation of a flexible performance management system to monitor activities and measure outputs across various projects, initiatives, and divisions.
- Develop, iterate, and manage monitoring system. Collaborate closely with internal teams to identify indicators to monitor and measure implementation and program logic. A significant focus on the development and iteration of a flexible performance monitoring system and stakeholder-specific dashboards is expected during the first 6-9 months, followed by the continuous management and improvement of the system. (65%)
- Measure, analyze, and share. Develop high quality quantitative and qualitative data collection and evaluation tools, rubrics, and assessments. Analyze data and communicate findings and recommendations in an accessible, user-friendly manner for multiple audiences. (10%)
- Provide technical assistance. Contribute to research design and methodology for project or strategy related scoping research. Assist in the development of trainings, workshops, and ongoing technical support to grantees to build their capacity to plan for and learn from monitoring and evaluating their projects. Provide ad hoc analytic and research support as needed. (10%)
- Advance knowledge. Represent National Geographic at evaluation and research events and conferences; present and discuss MER findings to diverse audiences internally; contribute to and celebrate culture of learning. Scan literature for new tools, approaches, and best practices that can advance how we inform decision-making and strategy. (10%)
- Other duties and responsibilities as needed.
Minimum Education Required
Master’s degree required, preferably in a social science or public administration with a concentration in research methodology, evaluation, or education.
Minimum Years and Type of Experience
Five to seven+ years in a professional setting designing, implementing, and managing performance management systems and/or evaluations required. MER experience at a foundation, research institute, or consulting firm strongly preferred.
Knowledge and Skills Required
- Authoritative knowledge of monitoring and evaluation theory and methodologies
- Extensive experience developing monitoring systems, logic models and evaluation plans, including identifying and defining indicators
- Experience developing and implementing process evaluations; formative and summative evaluations; strategy reviews; and portfolio-level assessments
- Expertise in diverse quantitative and qualitative research methods, including survey methodology
- Experience with developing well designed survey instruments to meet research objectives of individual programs
- Expertise in qualitative and quantitative data analysis using the appropriate analytical methods and tools
- Ability to perform in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and work with individuals and groups at all levels
- Demonstrated record of managing complex projects, meeting deadlines, and handling competing and changing priorities
- Highly skilled in a statistical analysis package (STATA or R preferred)
- Superior interpersonal skills, including ability to work with and advise program staff and grantees with a positive and collaborative attitude
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Strong project management skills, exceptional attention to detail
- Ability to adapt to continuous change and short deadlines
- Strong desire to continuously learn and take on new challenges
- Experience with Lean Six Sigma a plus
This is a 1 year contract position with full benefits.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply