Mindfulness Teacher Application
Posted: Mindfulness Teacher for Teens (Part-time, School-year)
Location: Portland, OR
Closing Date: open until filled
Industry: Education, Nonprofit
Type: Part Time, 2018/19 School-year, and renewable thereafter
Peace in Schools (PINS) is a registered 501(c)(3) organization based in Portland, Oregon. Founded in 2012, Peace in Schools offers mindfulness and meditation programs for young people.
Peace in Schools partners with schools and youth-focused organizations to establish and teach mindfulness classes for teens. These classes help young people develop self-awareness, compassion, and emotional resilience. The in-depth courses, woven into the academic structure of schools, help students alleviate personal and social strife in real-world settings.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
The Mindfulness Teacher will co-teach Mindful Studies classes at a Portland area high school during the 2018-19 school year. The class incorporates mindful movement (led by the school’s hired teacher) and the Peace in Schools mindfulness curriculum (led by the Peace in Schools teacher). In this model, co-teachers support each in these clearly defined roles. The Mindfulness Teacher's duties include:
The foundation of this position is your personal mindfulness practice. Your role is to support others, and yourself, in mindful living. Doing so requires putting your practice at the forefront. We as a team commit to supporting each other in living and working with compassion, love, authenticity and presence.
Training & Preparation
- Participate in PINS trainings and mentorship meetings
- Learn and implement the PINS philosophical approach and curriculum
- Fully prepare for class using the PINS curriculum
- Actively seek support and guidance from your Lead Teacher
Teaching & School Relationship Building
- Teach the PINS curriculum at your high school per the contracted schedule
- Cultivate authentic relationships with teens and develop trust, safety and connection in the classroom
- Develop a strong working relationship with your co-teacher, school administrators, counselors and faculty
- Conduct demonstration classes to promote future enrollment
- Work occasional evening programs for teens
- Assist with adult trainings for educators as assigned
The Mindfulness Teacher is expected to work well with members of our small team. We seek someone who is motivated, reliable, experienced and who enjoys the challenges of working with youth. We are looking for someone who can teach with heart, professionalism and good humor. The successful candidate must believe in our mission and demonstrate a commitment to the PINS philosophical approach to mindfulness education.
Required Skills and Experiences:
- Significant experience in mindfulness, meditation and/or contemplative practices
- Ability to teach from experience (e.g. integrating the tools from the curriculum into your own life)
- Ability to teach from a curriculum
- Minimum of 1 year experience working with teens in a structured program or school
- Ability to relate authentically with teens
- Ability to work well with people of diverse ages, races and backgrounds
- Excellent listening and communication skills
- Demonstrates flexibility and willingness
- Excellent time management skills
- Thrives in a collaborative environment
Preferred Skills and Experiences
- Experience with group facilitation
- Participation in meditation retreats
Peace in Schools is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly value equity, diversity and inclusion. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
Location: Portland, Oregon
- Hours: 40 hours per week, (7/30-8/24)
- Compensation: $15.00 per hour
- Hours: ~20 per week, (8/27-6/14)
- Compensation: $21.00 per hour
APPLICATION GUIDELINES / HOW TO APPLY
Please attach your resume to this application. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and we will contact all potential applicants. Position will remain open until filled. No phone calls or email inquiries.
Minimum Education Required