The mission of Books & Breakfast is to advance educational equity in partnership with Evanston/Skokie School District 65. B&B is a before-school program offering a nutritious breakfast and homework assistance to Evanston students in need of additional support. B&B exists so that every student enters his or her classroom prepared physically, emotionally and academically.
Books & Breakfast envisions an Evanston community in which every child is understood to be a valued and connected part of the community, where every school community reflects this reality, and where every child is able to reach his or her full academic potential. B&B envisions an Evanston community that is actively committed to just and equitable outcomes for all its children.
POSITION AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This will be a part-time hourly position requiring 20-25 hours per week, including daily presence at the school site Monday through Friday from 7:30-9:30 am. and Fridays for a team meeting 10:00 am - 12:30 pm.
- The Site Director/Assistant Site Director's role includes but is not limited to:
- The supervision of elementary students, Northwestern University student tutors, volunteers and food staff at the morning program.
- Supporting and building relationships with B&B students, school staff and faculty, PTA leaders, parents of children in the program, and community partners.
- Tracking evaluation metrics for the morning program.
- Assisting with the planning and execution of program events, celebrations, and field trips outside of the morning program.
- Providing full supervision of the morning program when Site Director is absent or at other B&B sites.
WHO YOU ARE
- You are a persistent and creative community organizer, skilled at finding common ground with diverse members of diverse communities.
- You are a skilled and willing problem solver who actively identifies areas of concern and enjoys working towards solutions that incorporate input from key stakeholders.
- You value gaining on-going understanding with key stakeholders, looking to learn from parents, fellow B&B staff, teachers, administrators and students in trying to bring B&B's mission and vision to life.
- You are dedicated program manager who excels at handling the details that make a program run smoothly, but never loses sight of the big picture mission and vision.
- You are deeply committed to public education and social justice issues and to affirming the inherent value of all children.
- Bonus points if you have ties to the Evanston community.
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE TABLE
- Passion for the Books & Breakfast mission and ability to articulate its philosophy, values and practices.
- Experience in education or school programming, especially in multicultural and socio- economically diverse settings; elementary education and classroom management experience is a plus.
- Experience supporting and working with children and families across a broad level of developmental abilities.
- Experience in volunteer recruitment, training, and management.
- Bachelor's degree or more preferred.