50 Hurt Plaza Southeast
KIDS IN NEED OF DEFENSE (KIND)
Kids in Need of Defense (KIND) is an innovative partnership among the Microsoft Corporation, Angelina Jolie and other interested philanthropists, law firms and corporate supporters. As the leading national organization that works to ensure that no refugee or immigrant child faces immigration court alone, KIND is dedicated to providing pro bono representation as well as positive systemic change in both law and policy to improve the protection of unaccompanied immigrant and refugee children. KIND also engages in programming in Central America and Mexico to promote the best interests and protection of migrant children throughout the region. Launched in fall 2008, KIND is headquartered in Washington, DC and has 10 field offices across the United States.
KIND seeks a Staff Attorney to provide immigration legal representation for unaccompanied immigrant children who are survivors of crime and child abuse under the federal Victims of Crime Act (VOCA) in Atlanta, Georgia.
EDUCATIONAL & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Two or more years of experience working in immigration law and with immigration authorities, or equivalent experience, such as Georgia juvenile dependency or delinquency experience or working with survivors of crime and child abuse.
- Attorney must be admitted to practice in Georgia;
- Fluency in Spanish required;
- Experience in direct representation of clients in immigration proceedings, including children or adults in Office of Refugee Resettlement custody or post-release and/or immigration detention;
- Experience working with children, preferably immigrant and refugee children, or experience working with survivors of abuse, human trafficking, domestic violence, sexual assault, or other violent crimes;
- A strong record of cultural competence and cross-cultural communication skills;
- Ability to work collaboratively, and preferably prior experience working with individual attorneys, law firms, or service providers.
- Passion for KIND’s mission of supporting unaccompanied immigrant and refugee children, and an ability to communicate this to others.
Commensurate with education & experience.
Managing Attorney – KIND’s Atlanta Office
Will share responsibility to supervise the work of the Social Services Coordinator with the Managing Attorney and the office’s Equal Justice Works Legal Fellow.
Based in KIND’s Atlanta field office, the Staff Attorney will have the following responsibilities:
- Provide appropriate legal orientation presentations to immigrant children at risk of deportation;
- Complete legal intakes of children referred to our office;
- Undertake direct representation for children in their cases before the immigration court and/or review boards;
- Recruit, train, and provide hands-on mentorship to volunteer attorneys representing unaccompanied children in immigration matters.
- File all relevant paperwork and applications with government agencies, immigration court, and state courts, where applicable;
- Participate in staff meetings and KIND-wide calls;
- Assist in the supervision of Social Services Coordinator;
- Assist in the supervision of Equal Justice Works Legal Fellow
- Assist in the supervision of law student interns and volunteers;
- Assist with periodic trainings and presentations; and
- Serve as an ambassador of KIND with local coalitions, courts, and agencies.
Work is generally performed within the office environment but will include appearances before courts (immigration court and juvenile court, as necessary) and government agencies (US Citizenship and Immigration Services and Immigration and Customs Enforcement, as necessary).
Local travel several times per week.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applications, including a cover letter, resume, salary requirements and contact information for three professional references, should be submitted online at: https://supportkind.org/jobs/. Applications that do not contain all of the above-listed required materials will not be considered.
Applications should be submitted as soon as possible and will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Applicants selected for interviews will be duly notified. Please no inquiries or phone calls.
KIND is an EOE committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in both its staff and work. The selected applicant will be asked to undergo a background check before acceptance of the final offer.