100 Pennsylvania Avenue
Serving Homeless Individuals and Families Affected by HIV/AIDS
The Partnership for the Homeless, a leading direct service and advocacy organization seeks a Health Advocate for its Health and Wellness Program, located at the Family Resource Center (FRC) in East New York, Brooklyn. The FRC is a multi-disciplinary center that works to assist individuals and families, who are homeless or at-risk of homelessness, break free from the cycles of need and move toward greater economic opportunity and independence.
The Health and Wellness Program works with individuals who are HIV positive in accessing health care, and helping them maintain long term relationships with their health care providers, educating individuals on HIV health and treatment adherence, and HIV/STD prevention for women in the community.
As front-line staff, the Health Advocate is in the unique position to inform our understanding of the barriers that prevent housing stability and long-term health and wellness. The Heath Advocate will address clients’ immediate needs as well as partner with them to identify barriers and develop plans to achieve long-term stability through case management. Information gleaned from the Health Advocate will be used to develop the Partnership’s advocacy agenda and identify best practices. Responsibilities include:
- Partnering with clients to create, monitor, and evaluate short and long-term goals to ensure clients remain connected to care and HIV treatment;
- Linking clients to community resources such as medical services, subsidies, job training, education, etc., to ensure increased health outcomes;
- Participating in case conferencing with client’s physicians, nurses, other FRC programs, and organizations to ensure the coordination of client’s care;
- Providing support and advocacy around health, housing, and entitlements as well as other client specific needs such as HIV/AIDS prevention and treatment, mental illness, substance abuse, etc.;
- Conducting outreach at different venues across the city;
- Building relationships with community stakeholders in order to educate the community of the program and services offered;
- Educating clients, individually and in group settings, about the strategies to decrease health risks associated with HIV/AIDS;
- Facilitating support groups focusing on HIV education and treatment adherence, and others as needed;
- Partnering with the Research Department to quantify program impact to identify best practices and enhance service provisions;
- Collecting, inputting and maintaining client information in database system.
Candidates for the Health Advocate position should have:
- Bachelor’s degree in related human service field or four years relevant experience;
- Spanish speaking preferred;
- Knowledge of NYC homeless/housing and HIV/AIDS services and treatment options;
- The ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and problem solve;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills;
- Ability to travel to different Partnership locations, and off-site meetings;
- Strong computer skills;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team: and,
- Strong ability to maintain a caseload of clients.
The Partnership provides an excelllent benefits package.
Minimum Education Required