Part Time Contract
SumOfUs is hiring for two senior email writing consultants to work as part of our online fundraising team.
We want one Europe based email writer and one North America based email writer, to write high quality content on a fast turn around.
The successful candidates will write two draft fundraising emails per week, provide edits to the fundraising team, and help set up mailings to go out to our members. These are part-time, contractor roles, the exact hours will be determined with successful candidates.
SumOfUs is a fast-paced environment. We test multiple emails to our members every day, and we need some fantastic and speedy writers to help us do that.
Who we are
SumOfUs is a global campaigning organisation fighting to hold corporations accountable. We are almost entirely funded by our members; we take no money from corporations or governments so we can take on the battles we need to, when we need to. If you’re a talented and quick copy writer and excited about raising money to campaign for global economic justice, then we want to hear from you.
Here's the details:
2x SumOfUs Senior Email Writing Consultants
- 1x European time zone (GMT-3 → GMT +1)
- 1x North American time zone (ET → PT)
- Part-time -- hours to be set with successful candidate (up to 10 per week)
- Hourly rate depedending on experience likely between £35-£43 | $49-$60 | €40-€49
- Start in July
Here are the things you’ll be doing:
- Research possible fundraising ideas
- Work with fundraising team (and fundraising monthly lead) to agree which ideas to draft emails on
- Draft fundraising emails
- Liaise with campaigners to agree final copy
- Provide edits on others’ mailings
- Set up fundraising mailings in our fundraising platform
- (Potentially) join fundraising team meetings
We need someone who:
- Speaks and writes English fluently;
- Has experience of member fundraising / individual giving;
- Is an excellent and fast English-language writer;
- Is highly self-directed;
- Has access to reliable high-speed internet
- Is comfortable with new technology and social media -- can easily pick up and learn new technologies;
- Is dedicated to building a fairer and more sustainable global economy.
Nice to haves:
- We prefer candidates who already know how to write basic standard-format fundraising or campaign emails;
- Has experience working in a virtual office with a diverse and geographically dispersed team;
- Fluent in another SOU working language: French or German
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply via our website.
- Please send in a resume / CV and respond to the below:
- Why are you applying for this consultancy? (Suggested word limit: 125)
- How many hours a week you’d ideally work.
- What time zone you’re in and what hours of the day you’d be available to work.
- Write a sample fundraising email on the following issue:
- SumOfUs has been calling on McDonald’s to stop using plastic straws -- already over 450,000 SumOfUs members have taken action. The petition page is here.
- Earlier this year McDonald’s UK agreed to phase out plastic straws from their restaurants. So now we’re doubling down and upping the pressure on McDonald’s to drop plastic straws world wide.
- In May we’re going to be at McDonald’s global AGM in Illinois and we’re hoping to make a big splash.
- Can you list three campaign ideas that we could raise money for that would help us get noticed at McDonald’s AGM and persuade them to stop using plastic straws world wide?
- Can you draft one of your ideas into a fundraising email that we could test to our global English email list?
- If you have a relevant example of a piece of fundraising writing you’ve done previously that you’d like to share you’re welcome to send it in with your application
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so please apply early!
People from communities that traditionally experience discrimination including on the basis of race, ethnicity or immigration status; women; disabled people; and LGBT people are especially encouraged to apply.
If you have questions about this or other jobs or have a technical problem, please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.