New Virginia Majority (NVM), Virginia’s leading civic engagement organization, builds power in working-class communities of color across the Commonwealth. We seek conscious and skilled individuals with a deep commitment to racial and economic justice to join our team. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
The Virginia Environmental Justice Collaborative is an alliance of organizations advocating for equitable practices and policies, established to build the health and wealth of communities of color, low-income communities, and communities overburdened by pollution in Virginia. The VEJC seeks to accomplish this by reducing the disproportionate impact of environmental hazards through educating, empowering, and mobilizing grassroots organizations and individuals to speak for themselves.
The VEJC seeks a dynamic individual to serve as the Coordinator to oversee activities of the Collaborative.
This position is funded by and supervised New Virginia Majority but this position coordinates and response with VEJC.
This position is can be located anywhere in the entire state of Virginia.
- Report to the core group of VEJC.
- Oversee and manage operations of the Collaborative, including: collaborative meetings and communication; community engagement; strategic plan development; implementation and evaluation.
- Be a liaison between VEJC, the Governor’s Advisory Council on Environmental Justice, the EPA’s NEJAC, and other EJ experts.
- Create and implement plans for recruitment of new members.
- Establish, build, and develop relationships with residents, stakeholders and other community members.
- Record meeting minutes and ensure timely distribution to collaborative membership.
- Work with VEJC and other lead organizations in the collaborative to meet project goals and objectives.
- Monitor and report back to the collaborative on local and statewide Environmental Justice initiatives.
- Document the Collaborative’s activities and progress toward outcomes in reports to lead agency, founders, coalition members, and broader community (where appropriate).
- Collaborate with stakeholders and Collaborative members to formulate legislative priorities and a legislative agenda for the General Assembly session.
- Facilitate the organization of collaborative events.
- Provide reports on progress to collaborative and New Virginia Majority senior staff, as needed.
- Develop legislative strategy and facilitate conversations between elected officials and key partners, impacted community members, and advocates.
- Two or more years of organizing experience.
- Proven record of establishing and building relationships with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to manage requests from multiple organizations and work group members.
- Ability to understand complex public policy around environmental justice.
- Strong organizational, communications, computer, problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Highly self-motivated and directed.
- Proven commitment to progressive values and social change.
- Ability to work irregular hours, including evening and weekend work. Regional and
statewide travel will be required.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in regional planning, policy, or environmental science.
- Experience leading coalitions.
- Experience engaging low income communities and communities of color.
- Experience in organizing on environmental justices issues.
- Experience working with databases.
Salaries are competitive. Salary range is 36,000 - 40,000, commensurate with experience, and comes with an excellent benefits package, including health, vision, dental, and stipends for phone and transportation.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter, resume, 3 writing samples, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position name and preferred location in the subject header.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Due to the high volume of applications, only those applicants considered for interviews consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.
New Virginia Majority (NVM), Virginia’s leading civic engagement organization, builds power in working-class communities of color across the Commonwealth. We organizes in communities year-round for racial, economic, and environmental justice through political education, mass-scale voter outreach, mobilization, and intensive leadership development around dozens of issues. We fight for a Virginia that is just, democratic and environmentally sustainable. We are an equal opportunity employer.