ABOUT THE HERTZ FOUNDATION
Located in Livermore, California, the Hertz Foundation mission is to provide unique financial and fellowship support to the nation’s most remarkable PhD students in the physical, biological, and emerging sciences. Hertz Fellows become innovators and leaders serving in ways that benefit us all.
Established in 1963, the Fannie & John Hertz Foundation is the legacy of an immigrant entrepreneur who believed advancement in science and engineering was vital to the strength, security and prosperity of our nation.
Hertz Fellowships are among the most prestigious in the world. Through the rigorous interview process, the Foundation identifies brilliant and creative young scientists and engineers who merit support to provide freedom to realize their creative promise. Currently, Hertz Fellows number 1,200 – 60 of whom are currently pursuing their PhDs. Together, they comprise one of the most influential groups of leaders, innovators, engineers, mathematicians and scientists found in the American corporate, university, national laboratory, and military sectors today. Among them, Hertz Fellows include 2 Nobel Laureates, 4 military generals, 3 university presidents, and more than 400 university faculty.
Reporting to the Development Coordinator, the Development Assistant will play a key role on the Foundation’s development team. Working closely with all Foundation staff, the incumbent will be responsible for ensuring data is entered accurately and consistently into the Foundations donor database. In addition to data entry, the incumbent will be responsible for gift processing and acknowledgement, performing regular data cleanup, preparing data reports, and assisting with other development activities. Additionally, the incumbent will play an essential role in the Foundation’s upcoming transition to a new donor database/CRM. The incumbent will ensure that data in the current database is adequately prepared to be migrated to a new database system and will assist with migrating data to the new system, as well as help in developing and implementing usage protocols to ensure data integrity within the new system.
The Development Assistant is both customer- and detail-oriented and demonstrates consistency and exceptional quality in his/her work. An advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Excel is required, as is prior experience working as a database administrator/manager. Prior experience working at a nonprofit organization is an advantage, as is prior experience working with a donor database.
Ø Data Management
· Manage Foundation’s development database – maintain integrity of information, ensure gift and donor data is entered consistently and accurately, prepare and send donor acknowledgements in an accurate and timely manner.
· Enter constituent data for all individuals and organizations, including address updates, constituent demographics, and relationship links.
· Enter returned mail address corrections or other such change of address notifications.
· Assist with conducting research on individuals, corporations, and foundations for prospect activity as needed.
· Extract information and export data to other software applications.
· Maintain a neat and orderly filing system (paper and electronic) of all donor transactions/pledges.
· Track communications related to current and potential donors.
· Assist in creating and maintaining database operating procedures.
Ø Data Migration Project
The Foundation is currently in the process of selecting a new donor database/CRM. We currently use Salsa CRM and will begin migration to a new donor database/CRM in upcoming months. Incumbent will play a large role in assisting with data migration. Key activities will include:
· Assist with data assessment in order to identify where there will be data inconsistencies between old system and new system. Assist with defining data rules to address inconsistencies to ensure smooth migration.
· Extract, clean, and validate data for migration.
Ø Other Development Support
· Assist with preparation of fundraising materials and documents.
· Pull and prepare lists for donor communications.
· Assist in producing letters and envelopes for mass mailings.
· Produce data reports and assist with general analysis of data as it relates to fundraising and donor recognition.
Ø Additional Duties:
· Provide related assistance for special projects/events as required.
· 2-4 years of related work experience required, college degree preferred.
· Minimum 2 years of experience as a database administrator/manager. Experience working with fundraising databases is an advantage.
· Experience working in a nonprofit organization is an advantage.
· Ability to enter large batches of data in an accurate and timely manner.
· Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, advanced skills in Excel.
· Experience extracting and exporting data from database to other software applications.
· Ability to handle confidential information appropriately.
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills; ability to build rapport with others in order to achieve shared goals.
· Ability to effectively manage time and prioritize responsibilities in order to meet deadlines.
· Demonstrated ability to be proactive and take initiative; ability to effectively seek out and research information needed to complete work.
· Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· High level of typing accuracy and speed.
· Ability to multi-task and keep organizational priorities clear.
Level of Language Proficiency
College degree preferred.
Minimum Education Required