Details: Salary based on experience and education. NCL is competitive with other nonprofit public interest organizations.
1701 K Street NW
District of Columbia
The National Consumers League (NCL), America’s pioneering consumer advocacy organization, is seeking a highly motivated staff member with a strong commitment to public interest work to serve as Director of Development. The League (www.nclnet.org) is a national nonprofit organization that for 119 years has been protecting and promoting social and economic justice for consumers and workers in the United States and abroad. NCL focuses on fraud prevention and education, food product and drug safety, teen-consumer literacy, child labor, financial services and fair labor standards.
Under the direction of the Executive Director, the Director of Development serves as a key leadership team member and an active participant in strategic decisions that advance the overall mission of NCL. In partnership with the Executive Director, this position is responsible for all fundraising and development activities. This individual will help forge new relationships to build NCL’s visibility, brand, impact and financial resources. The Director of Development will also use and implement a comprehensive development plan for establishing key external alliances by cultivating individual, corporate and philanthropic support. The Director of Development will have primary responsibility for establishing and implementing the infrastructure needed to grow NCL’s nearly $3 million budget through the solicitation of major gifts, grants, special events, corporate partnerships and foundation support.
- Work closely and collaborate with the Board of Directors and Executive Director to create a development plan which increases revenues to support the strategic direction of the organization
- Manage the fundraising team and event management consultants for annual dinner
- Collaborate with Managing Director on NCL’s financial strategy and ensure reconciliation on a regular basis
- Monitor and evaluate all fundraising activities to ensure that the financial goals are being achieved
- Support and partner with the Executive Director on all major fundraising initiatives to develop and implement a strategy for significantly expanding corporate support to include prospecting, networking to explore connections to funders, and relationship building
- Conduct research on individuals, corporations, and foundations for prospect activity and maintain integrity of data
- Develop a strategy for cultivating existing and potential sponsors and informing them of activities associated with NCL’s activities and achievements
- Oversee and manage deadlines for applications to corporate foundations to meet agreed income target goals and reporting
- Work with senior staff, board members, host committee and event consultants to set goals for NCL’s Annual Awards Dinner, including incremental revenue, renewal, upgrade revenue and lapsed sponsors
- Oversee and manage logistics for a variety of NCL events, large and small, to engage funders, including fireside chats, receptions, membership meetings, hill briefings etc.
- Develop and manage all income and expense budgets for Development and Development related events
- Collaborate with the communications team to develop appropriate marketing and public relations efforts and outreach
- Oversee the administration of a donor mailing list and database which respects the privacy and confidentiality of donor information
- Oversee the administration of lists for email campaigns, event invitations, semiannual bulletins and annual reports
- Ten years’ experience in development, fundraising, and major gifts and/or foundations
- Detail-oriented and proven ability to work well under deadline
- Demonstrated ability to organize, prioritize and complete work independently
- Superior program and project management experience
- Exceptionally strong writing, editing, and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated direct responsibility for raising and expanding significant funds for other non-profit organizations
- Understanding of foundation and individual philanthropy and demonstrated record of achieving results
- Ability to balance the needs of multiple internal and external stakeholders
- Experience with event planning and/or client services
- Ability to interact positively with colleagues, board of directors and donors, especially in challenging situations
- Bachelor's degree required, Master’s preferred
- High energy and passion for NCL’s mission is essential
- Outgoing personality and a good sense of humor
Full-time employees receive health, dental, disability and life insurance benefits, vacation and sick leave; and direct payroll deposit. The League also offers a 401(k) retirement plan, planned telework, employer SmartTrip contributions. The National Consumers League is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit cover letter, résumé, and writing sample to email@example.com and reference “Development Director” in the subject line. No phone calls, please. Candidates who are contacted for an interview may be expected to take a writing test. If selected for hire, candidates must agree to undergo a background check.