3300 New Jersey 66
Job Title: Development Director
Reports to: Executive Director
Classification: Full-time, Exempt
Date Update: June 2018
Fulfill’s mission is to alleviate hunger and build food security in Monmouth & Ocean Counties and to make sure that all people at all times have access to enough nutritious food to maintain an active and healthy life.
Fulfill has an employee base of 63 employees, The Development Department includes eight employees, including the Development Director, Strategic Gift Manager, Development Coordinator, Development Assistant, Data Specialist, Marketing/Media Manager, Community Engagement Coordinator, Grant Specialist.
The Director of Development provides leadership, strategic direction, and management for all of Fulfill’s public awareness and fundraising efforts, including special events and direct mail. Director creates fundraising strategies that increase the organization’s support from a variety of sources. The Development Director plays a key role in identifying, cultivating, and soliciting major donors for capital and operational support, as well as overseeing all external communications. The successful candidate will serve as a member of the senior management team and will serve as an articulate spokesperson to the community.
Strategy and Planning
- Partners with the Executive Director in formulating the strategic fundraising plan that will support the overall strategic plan of the organization.
- In conjunction with the Executive Director, devises and formulates the fundraising plan.
- Collaborates with and supports other Department Directors in fulfilling the overall organizational mission.
- Serves as a key spokesperson and advocate for Fulfill’s mission and programs in the funding community.
- Represents Fulfill to community partners, organizations, chambers, local government officials and other prominent community leaders.
- Supports the Executive Director in external communication/brand positioning strategies.
- Builds fundraising culture and fundraising capacity of the Board.
- Stewards individual, corporate, and foundation support at all levels of giving.
Management and Supervision
- Manages the Development Department in a fiscally sound manner by ensuring that the appropriate staffing, systems, and procedures are in place to support fundraising goals.
- Provides leadership and supervision to Strategic Gifts Manager, Marketing/Media Manager, Community Engagement Coordinator, Grant Specialist and other Development staff.
- Hires, trains, and motivates a competent development staff committed to the mission and values of Fulfill. Coaches and develops staff to maximize performance, completes performance reviews and makes recommendations to the Executive Director affecting salary and employment decisions.
- Manages all fundraising strategies and activities for donor cultivation, solicitation, special events, direct mail, and print materials.
- Supervises the management of the brand, message, and image of Fulfill.
- Develops budgets, calendars, action plans, materials, procedures and reports for Development to enhance effectiveness and maximize revenue.
- Maintains a proactive, creative leadership role in the identification, cultivation, and solicitation of key donors, both individual and corporate and oversees donor recognition program.
- Attends Feeding America (FA) conferences, meetings and participates in FA fundraising and cause marketing calls. Reports to Fulfill’s Executive Director on all FA initiatives with recommendations for participation.
- Collaborates with local, statewide, regional and national hunger relief organizations.
- In concert with the Executive Director, works with the Development Committee of the Board of Trustees to develop strategies to initiate and meet aggressive fundraising goals.
- Develops procedures for third party fundraisers.
- Working with volunteer staff, works to cultivate volunteer opportunities for corporate and community donors.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field. CFRE certification a plus.
- At least 7 years progressive experience in nonprofit fundraising environment.
- A minimum of 5 years supervisory experience is required for this position.
- A proven track record of success and progressive accomplishments in fundraising with experience in all, or most areas of development.
- Demonstrated experience in managing people and budgets.
- Demonstrated ability to identify, cultivate relationships with and secure major gifts from new donors.
- The organizational, time management and people skills necessary to succeed with multiple people engaged in the fundraising process.
- Excellent writing and verbal communications skills.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office tools and Raiser’s Edge.
- Required to attend all major fundraising events and all Board Meetings.
- This position works in an office environment but also requires approximately 60% local travel and weekend responsibilities.
- Must have valid driver’s license with reliable transportation.
A working knowledge of the food bank and food security development sector would be very helpful, as would experience working with a range of corporate and foundation donors. Solid experience cultivating individual giving should be demonstrated in cover letter and interview.
- A strategist who is adept at planning, prioritizing, multi-tasking, organizing and following through while remaining highly energetic and focused.
- A team builder with strong skills in management and leadership.
- Energetic and willing to work hands-on in developing and executing a variety of fundraising activities.
- Committed to be enthusiastic about Fulfill’s mission and programs.
- Highly entrepreneurial, resourceful and flexible.
- Straightforward, self-motivated, and diplomatic, sharing information readily, listening as well as giving advice and respecting the abilities of others.
- Values integrity and honesty.
Salary and Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits. We are an equal opportunity employer. Please submit a cover letter with salary requirements along with resume no later than June 1, 2018.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submit resume with cover letter stating salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than June 1, 2018.