Details: Commensurate with experience, plus benefits including 401K and retirement matching, generous paid and sick time off, and professional development.
Status: Full-time Exempt
Start Date: Immediate
The Opportunity Network (OppNet) is seeking an ambitious, motivated, and self-directed Development
Coordinator to support our five-person Development team. We are looking for a candidate who brings relevant
skills and interest to the role, maturity and ownership of their work, and is looking for an opportunity to grow in
a fast-paced, dynamic organization.
Reporting to the Associate Director of Development, the position is responsible for supporting all aspects of
cultivation and fundraising, including special events, fundraising appeals, mail and e-mail communications,
volunteer recruitment and engagement, data entry and integrity, and gift processing. This role requires
outstanding project management, excellent written and verbal communication skills, and superb organization
and attention to detail, as well as professionalism and discretion, initiative and resourcefulness, the ability to
deftly multi-task, and a willingness to work on a wide variety of projects and tasks. The ideal candidate will
personally connect to the important work we do and value diversity, equity, and inclusion (DE&I) across the
organization. The candidate will demonstrate DE&I values by actively participating in all organizational-wide
learning sessions and self-reflection as well as working with others to enact changes that contribute to meeting
the organization’s DE&I goals.
This is an ideal position for someone interested in growing as a Development professional and who can balance
the core duties that are vital to the team’s functioning with more elevated projects related to events, external and
internal communications and interaction, and others.
Founded in 2003, The Opportunity Network works with students from historically and systemically
underrepresented communities in developing their skills, knowledge, and passions to achieve their college and
career goals. We honor the identities and embrace the power of each member of our community.
OppNet believes networks of support are essential ingredients for success, so we take an innovative approach
by underscoring the power of personal connections and professional relationships as vital complements to skills,
passions, aptitude, and work experience. Our students thrive in college and careers as they master college and
career competencies through OppNet’s Career Fluency® programming, including building networks, mobilizing
social capital, increasing career awareness, excelling in internships, and making “best fit” college choices
through intensive college counseling.
• Aid in the coordination and execution of OppNet’s cultivation and stewardship events,
communications, and activities.
• Serve as primary liaison with event donors and track and communicate all relevant details related
to their support, recognition, and the event.
• Play an integral role in the planning and implementation of our 900+ person, $2MM+ annual
gala, including donor outreach, sourcing and production of printed and e-materials, in-house
save-the-date and invitation mailing to ~2,000 contacts, and guest list management and check-in
at the event, as well as support in coordination of venue relations and on-site management.
Volunteer Engagement and Management
• Liaise and work closely with program staff on volunteer needs throughout the year.
• Oversee recruitment and engagement of volunteers, including development and stewardship of
relationships with employers and other “lead” organizations.
• Serve as organization’s primary point person for volunteers, and draft all necessary collateral and
other needs for volunteer recruitment, engagement, and retention.
• Ensure up-to-date data entry and management of all volunteer-related information in Salesforce,
including contact information and campaigns/event attendance.
Communications and Fundraising
• Coordinate all correspondence by assisting in the development and production of presentation
materials, communications, stewardship pieces and fundraising reports for various external
audiences, prospects/donors and Board Members.
• Oversee drafting and timely production and mailing of donor acknowledgement letters to
individual and institutional supporters.
• Support direct mail and online solicitations, as well as manage e-communications via Marketing
• Conduct prospect research on individual and corporate prospects to help assess funding
opportunities, as needed.
Data & Gift Processing
• Serve as Development team’s primary manager of donor and prospect data in Salesforce.
• Enter all gifts and grants in Salesforce system, taking responsibility for securing necessary
information from team members overseeing the gifts/grants. Run weekly and monthly reports for
Finance team to reconcile records with Accounting system.
• Manage entry of contacts into Salesforce for Development team, maintaining an eye for data
integrity and avenues to improve processes related to data management.
• Manage soft/hard copy files of all gifts and grants, acknowledgement letters, and stewardship
• Maintain and manage supplies, including printed publications, materials for mailings, etc. for the
• Maintain a professional and well-organized department.
• Create efficiencies in functions and operations.
• Provide support to the department, as needed.
• Bachelor’s degree from a U.S. accredited college/university.
• 2+ years of related experience in fundraising and/or events management strongly preferred.
• Mastery of Microsoft Office, PowerPoint and Excel are preferred. Proficiency with Mail Merge is a
• Familiarity with Salesforce, or a similar database system, and Excel VLOOKUP is a plus.
• Extraordinary attention to detail and superior organizational skills. Keeps track of projects and drives
toward deadlines while communicating progress in real-time.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to address a range of audiences, including
donors, volunteers, Board and Associate Board members, vendors, staff, students, and alumni.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment with precision, accuracy, and
• Capable of “managing up” to ensure deadlines are met.
• Personal dedication to the quality of work produced and a high level of accountability
• Approaches challenges in creative ways and finds thoughtful solutions.
• Comfort in team-oriented environment with open communication and inclusive decision-making.
• Maturity, professionalism, poise, and excellent judgment.
• Commitment to The Opportunity Network’s mission, and appreciation for and commitment to helping to
operationalize equity and inclusion across OppNet’s work.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply
Please send a resume and cover letter, including salary requirements and available start date,
to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Development Coordinator 2018” in the subject line.