40 West 20th Street
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation's most effective environmental action organization. We use law, science and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Air Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our climate and clean energy cases have played a major role shaping current climate policy throughout the country. Today, our staff of more than 500 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, and others, work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana and Beijing.
NRDC is looking for a renewable energy advocate to join our team. The advocate will be a key member of NRDC’s Eastern regional Climate and Clean Energy team, which focuses on advocacy in NY, NJ, PA, VA, NC, as well as Puerto Rico. The advocate will be instrumental in shaping, advancing and accelerating renewable energy deployment in our priority Eastern states, and will help leverage lessons learned in these states across the country and at federal level. The advocate will also work at the national level, co-ordinating with a top team of advocates, analysts, policy experts and communications specialists to support NRDC’s renewable energy priorities. The position is located in NRDC’s New York office with significant travel. This is a limited term two-year position.
- Advocate for stronger renewable energy policies in the Eastern region, building support at state and local levels to advance goals such as renewable portfolio standards and other policies to support the deployment of utility-scale and distributed projects including policies to scale up solar, onshore and offshore wind, community and low-income solar, battery storage, etc.
- With a focus on the Eastern region and working closely with NRDC's Climate and Clean Energy regional, state, and federal leads, help further develop, nurture and strengthen support for renewable energy by state and local decision-makers and elected officials, and build durable partnerships with a network of allies and key partners in the renewables industry.
- Represent NRDC and provide written and oral advocacy to advance our renewable priorities in forums such as state utility commissions and state legislatures.
- Expand NRDC’s role as a leader on renewable energy policy through blogging, writing reports, and submitting expert testimony.
- Engage in research on renewable policies and technologies.
- Partner with our communications team and state leads to respond to media requests and contribute to the development of advocacy materials.
- Coordinate with and represent NRDC in renewable energy coalitions.
- JD or master’s degree in law, economics, public policy, science, environment, or other relevant fields preferred.
- 2-5+ years of relevant experience as an energy advocate or other energy professional preferred.
- Experience cultivating relationships at the governmental, regulatory, or legislative levels.
- Excellent negotiation skills; track record of success in navigating diverse coalitions, building consensus, and driving towards positive outcomes.
- Strong oral and written advocacy skills, including the ability to represent the organization in public forums and media with credibility, professionalism, and enthusiasm.
- Ability to work independently and find creative opportunities to advance the Eastern region renewable energy priorities, working collaboratively with both internal and external partners.
- A sense of mission and passion for public interest / environmental advocacy.
- Flexibility to travel throughout the Eastern region as well as to other states and NRDC offices across the country, as needed.
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, for positions based in San Francisco, CA we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. Please upload any additional papers or project work that you think would showcase your abilities. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing 1-800-889-4422.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org.
Minimum Education Required