This position affords the opportunity to work in a highly creative environment while honing the administrative and communication skills that are key in the fields of museum education and/or arts administration. The Education Associate is primarily a supportive and administrative position within the Museum’s progressive Department of Education and Public Engagement (DEPE), providing critical assistance in furthering the Museum’s mission. The Education Associate will play an important role in staffing the Mobile Homestead, a permanent art work and community space created by international artist Mike Kelley, which is situated on the Museum’s grounds. Other duties include supporting department curators in planning and executing public programming events, coordinate marketing and social media for events and arranging all group tours. In addition, the Education Associate researches upcoming projects and assists with the production of youth programs.
Curator of Education & Public Engagement
- BA or BFA in art, art history, art education or a related field and/or a combination of education & museum experience.
- Experience in event production.
- Keen passion for contemporary arts and/or education.
- Excellent interpersonal and oral communication skills, and ability to work on a team. Natural collaborator who enjoys working closely with diverse constituencies.
- Friendly and professional demeanor. Able to communicate enthusiastically yet maturely with a wide range of populations and in front of large groups, including community groups, children, local community leaders, school administrators.
- Excellent ability to write for varied contexts, such as marketing, business or educational contexts. Strong copyediting and proofing skills desirable.
- A self-starter who demonstrates a high sense of ownership and can work independently, demonstrating initiative and proficiency at problem-solving.
- Thrives in a multi-project environment.
- Scrupulous attention to detail in all aspects of work required.
- Must have strong administrative and technical skills.
- Working knowledge of Apple OSX, Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Photoshop.
- Reliable transportation is required for running errands or attending meetings, etc. on behalf of the department,mileage reimbursed.
- Must be able to lift 25 lbs.
- Manage logistics related to visiting artists including not limited to: contracts, travel arrangements, payment requests, itineraries, meetings, studio visits.
- Provide support before, during and after education + public programming events, such as lectures, screenings & musical performances.
- Track budgets for public programs.
- Assist Curator of Education & Public Engagement with special projects, such as publications, temporary, off-site activities, etc.
- Maintain order of all electronic and paper files in the department. Maintain inventory of art and craft supplies on behalf of the department.
- Record minutes of DEPE meetings.
- Provide general staff support at Museum openings, events and annual fundraisers; serve as a flexible member of the Museum staff.
- Work with gallery attendants and interns at Mobile Homestead. Manage intern schedules
- Maintain MOCAD education + public programming events on Google Calendar.
- Assist with day-to-day operations for the Education & Public Programming departments as needed.
- Handle all administrative needs for the Education & Public Programming departments.
- Schedule and lead group tours for patrons of all ages.
- Assist in the building and nourishing of relationships with administrators and teachers from local K-12 schools. Keep up-to-date spreadsheet of school and other community contacts.
- Other duties as assigned
- Handle the logistics for all public programs, including coordinating AV, rentals, travel arrangements, payment requests etc.
- Serve as artist liaison on site at public programs.
- Book equipment rental and sound engineers.
- Identify + assist in purchasing/leasing A/V equipment.
- Maintain + organize A/V loft and equipment.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please do so in writing to Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit, attention: Education Associate, 4454 Woodward Ave., Detroit, MI 48201 or by emailing email@example.com with Education Associate in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Minimum Education Required