States United Democracy Center, a nonpartisan organization focused on the critical role states play in election protection, is hiring a Policy Director. The Policy Director will provide leadership and thought partnership to the SVP, CEO, and Executive Chair and oversee the core policy and legislative program focused on state activity.
The Policy Director will engage with the team and coalition partners to develop a strategy that will achieve our mission at the state level. This includes promoting voting rights and democracy protection through policy proposals, legislative proposals, and advocacy in a variety of states. The role will require having successful experience in building and executing long-term strategic vision through flexible tactical operations and experience leading and managing efforts in a variety of states.
About the Organization:
States United Democracy Center is a new and growing nonpartisan organization advancing free, fair, and secure elections. We focus on connecting state officials, law enforcement leaders, and pro-democracy partners across America with the tools and expertise they need to safeguard our democracy. States United engages in legal and policy actions to protect our elections and democracy. During the 2020 election, then as the Voter Protection Program, we quickly became a go-to resource for state leaders, the press, and partner organizations. By bringing together current and former governors, secretaries of state, attorneys general, and law enforcement leaders for the first time, we helped build a nonpartisan firewall against those trying to undermine democracy.
This is an exciting opportunity for the Policy Director to play a significant role in defining the vision and work of the States United Democracy Center for 2021 and beyond.
- Help hire and develop a team of policy associates.
- Build a team of state-based policy analysts and consultants as needed.
- Develop and adapt procedures to link the growing internal staff with the potential network of outside resources and coalition partners.
- Foster a seamless diverse and inclusive team culture between leadership and staff and throughout the organization.
Policy and Legislative Development & Advocacy
- Collaborate with the team--including our SVP, CEO, and Board Chair--to design a strategy for tracking, analyzing, and implementing solutions in target states and at the federal level around voting rights, election law, redistricting, and other election-related issues.
- Draft and implement state and federal legislative and advocacy strategies.
- Conduct research, draft memos, and analysis on policies and legislative proposals, draft model legislation, draft testimony, provide ongoing analysis of policy and legislative actions, and be the strategic and quality control hub for editing and reviewing policy and legislative materials.
- Monitor legislative and messaging patterns across multiple states, including actions taken by State Executives (i.e. Governors, Attorney Generals, Secretary of States) to develop “best practices” and comprehensive advocacy plans.
- Play a lead role in establishing States United as a valuable voice among various coalitions, as well as an essential source of policy advice and resources to key constituencies.
- Plan for proactive policy engagement, including building relationships with key partners and stakeholders, engage in public events, and draft policy position papers.
- Provide expertise to leadership on political matters, focusing on how local and state activities impact policy decisions.
- Manage, mentor, and develop a team of policy analysts, including regular performance reviews and ensuring opportunities for growth.
- Manage external policy and advocacy consultants.
- Ensure a strategy and actionable plan for stewarding the policy team during remote work, without regular, face-to-face meetings.
- Oversee policy campaigns in collaboration with internal teams o Support the organization’s emphasis on diversity, equity, and inclusion in all aspects of our work.
- 10 plus years of experience working on policy issues at the state and/or federal levels; some experience working at state level required.
- Experience monitoring and engaging in policy and legislation, including advocacy, at the state level.
- Experience with state legislation and in-depth knowledge of state legislative bodies and activities.
- Experience managing programs and legislative advocacy campaigns.
- JD and legal or legislative experience a plus.
- Direct work with state officials a plus but not required.
- Experience successfully managing and mentoring staff, including internal and external teams, to build and maintain a collaborative and productive work environment.
- Experience partnering with senior staff to accomplish goals across departments.
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues in a sometimes intense and highly charged setting.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to see the need to course-correct.
- Outstanding writing and editing skills, including drafting and editing legislation and policy proposals and reviewing/editing the work of others.
- Display a positive attitude, show concern for people and community, demonstrate presence, self-confidence, common sense, and good listening ability.
Salary will be between $160,000 and $180,000 and is commensurate with experience.
States United Democracy Center offers generous benefits including health, vision, dental, and retirement plans.
Our offices will be based in DC, but this position can be remote in the long-term.
States United Democracy Center is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by law. Women, people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, people with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.