The Public Theater, an award-winning off-Broadway theater company, seeks an experienced Press Manager to join an active, warm and committed press team that handles all shows at the theater’s downtown home at 425 Lafayette Street, free Shakespeare in the Park, the annual gala, as well as myriad institutional programming and free events.
The Press Manager will work closely with a five-person press team that includes a Senior Press Manager, Press Associate, and Playbill Coordinator, and the Press Manager will report to the Director of Communications.
· Implement press campaigns for Public Theater productions (not including Joe’s Pub)
· Pitch news and feature stories to local and national media
· Coordinate interviews and tracking coverage
· Write press releases and publicity materials and implement external distribution
· Support execution of all press nights, special events, photo calls and video shoots
· Act as primary liaison with alumni and celebrities for opening nights and special events
· Support departmental budget process
· Manage awards season process with artists and voters
· Consul on playbill production in tandem with Playbill Coordinator and other team members
· Develop strong media relationships and expand institutional coverage
· Arrange tickets with the box office and distribute for assigned shows
· Act as primary liaison with Joe’s Pub press and marketing teams
· Perform additional duties as assigned
The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s Degree, a minimum of three years of experience in press and public relations and demonstrate a knowledge and passion for theatre. The candidate will have strong media contacts and experience working in the theater and with artists. He/she will have excellent organizational, communication and writing skills; be highly-motivated and a keen problem-solver; enjoy a busy environment; work well as a team player and with other departments; and have the ability to multi-task and remain organized while working under deadline. Computer proficiency and aptitude for social media and new technologies is a must. Some evening and weekend hours required.
The Public is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, familial status, sexual orientation, national origin, ability, age, or veteran status.
This is an Exempt position according to the Fair Labor Standards Act. Position is available beginning July 2018.
Please send cover letter, resume, writing sample, and any applicable media stories to:
Minimum Education Required