44 West Flagler Street
Since its founding, City Year has relied on its corporate, foundation and individual partners to create meaningful social change, leveraging both private and public investors. With a wide range of support from some of Miami’s philanthropic leaders, City Year Miami has a strong fundraising track record and has an ambitious strategic plan for growth over the next 5 years.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Managing Director of Development leverages the fundraising leadership within City Year Headquarters, our local board of directors, and an alumni network to lead a team of 3 high performing development professionals to manage and implement the fundraising strategy for the Miami office. A specific emphasis is placed on managing and building relationships with corporations and foundations, as well as with high net worth individuals and prospects in an effort to maximize financial resources to help City Year Miami achieve its revenue and strategic objectives. The Managing Director of Development will be responsible for ensuring the site meets its annual budget of $6.4 million, including over $2.5 million from private sources.
Manage a Team of Development Professionals:
- Hire, manage and retain a team of 3 development professionals to manage different aspects of the development pipeline.
Relationship Cultivation and Management:
- Work closely with the Executive Director to develop a plan to implement the strategy of donor engagement across sectors: private, government and education (state policy, district funding).
- Serve as a representative of City Year in the external community attending events on a frequent basis.
- Build meaningful relationships that result in securing both monetary and in-kind multi-year support for City Year.
- Able to grow a transactional relationship into a transformational relationship.
Board Management and Engagement:
- Works with the Executive Director to manage the Board throughout the year and during quarterly Board meetings.
- Manages Board Member Development Committee to support fundraising and external relations.
- Maintains engagement both financially and otherwise to ensure Board retention and satisfaction.
Marketing and Communications:
- Experience crafting communication on behalf of others with keen awareness of audience and impact.
- Ability to create and execute compelling communication tools that drive people to support and champion City Year, including press releases, media advisories, social media communication and marketing events.
- Experience communicating with both internal and external audiences of varying levels of seniority.
Implement Growth Campaign:
- Works with the Executive Director to develop, plan and implement a campaign to allow for City Year’s continued growth throughout Miami.
- Adds development capacities to execute against City Year’s Long Term Impact goals.
Corporate and Foundation Management:
- Manages relationships and communication with current corporate and foundation funders.
- Manages the identification and cultivation of new corporate and foundation partnerships, as well as the grant proposal and reporting processes for corporate, foundation, and government funders.
Major Gift Donor Management:
- Identify, cultivate, solicit and steward a portfolio of current and future major donors.
- Identify major donors' philanthropic interests and provide them with an opportunity to realize an outstanding philanthropic experience through their charitable investment of time, advocacy and financial support to City Year.
- Leads the Development Team in special events to raise awareness of City Year
- Fundraise and engage individuals, foundations and corporations as champions and donors. Events include but are not limited to: annual gala, women’s leadership luncheon, and specialty market events.
- Develop successful identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship strategies to direct and monitor the progress of donor relationships.
- Ensure diversity and sustainability of site donor base.
- Oversee the entire development business process from donor identification through collections to stewardship.
- Help shape organizational strategy and serve in leadership role in implementing the agency’s operating plan, as a member of the Executive Leadership Team.
- Work collaboratively with other site departments on a frequent basis and with City Year Headquarters.
- Develop and manage the Development Department budget, detailing department revenue and expenses.
- Ensure accurate maintenance of records and donor information in the Raisers Edge database.
- 5-8 years of progressive fundraising/development experience with proven fundraising track record that includes multi-year giving. Comparable experience will be considered.
- BA/BS required. Preference given to MBAs, MPPs and/or other relevant advanced degrees.
- Proven relationship manager who recognizes the importance of outreach relationships and partnerships for advancing organizational mission
- Sales background preferred.
- Management experience required.
- Solid, persuasive writing skills required.
- Knowledge of the Miami donor community preferred.
- Ability to work with diverse groups of young adults in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial team environment.
- City Year/AmeriCorps/teaching experience is a plus.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Compensation and Benefits
Full time employees are entitled to compensation commensurate with experience. Benefits for full time employees include health insurance with Flexible Spending Account, paid vacation, holidays, parental leave, 401K, and more.
City Year is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse workforce. Individuals from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply, including persons with disabilities and veterans.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please complete the online application and attach a resume and thoughtful cover letter in the "Resume/CV" field on the "My Experience" page. Internal applicants should apply through cyresource.