JOB TITLE: Membership Specialist
CLASSIFICATION: Regular, full-time (1.0 FTE), non-exempt
REPORTS TO: VP Commercialization
***Due to COVID-19 this role is currently working primarily remotely, with some in-office or meeting location work required. Once the CleanTech Alliance office fully reopens, this role will have regular onsite responsibilities in downtown Seattle.**
Please submit your application materials through our online portal. Applications received by other means may not be considered. Cover letters are optional but will be considered as part of the application if included. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with priority given to applications received by January 18th, 2022.
About the CleanTech Alliance:
The CleanTech Alliance is a corporate trade association helping to advance cleantech, by offering a range of business services and benefits uniquely designed to help businesses gain visibility, access services at lower cost, and benefit from public policy advocacy. The CleanTech Alliance is an affiliate of the Seattle Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce.
The Membership Specialist is responsible for membership and sponsorship outreach and sales, development of a focused Built Environment Economic Cluster membership portfolio, and member retention efforts. The main goal of this position is to strengthen engagement with our members and grow the Alliance. The position manages the Alliance’s diverse portfolio of members and partners and communicates to internal and external stakeholders about how the Alliance and its programs and services add value to new and existing members. This position reports to the Vice President of Commercialization, supervises membership staff, and collaborates with staff to ensure alignment between membership, programs and services.
The ideal candidate has a proven ability to work collaboratively with others, has a proactive/problem solving mentality, and enjoys a dynamic work environment. This role will work with key stakeholders both within and outside of the organization, requiring acute attention to detail and professionalism.
This position is responsible for working closely with Alliance staff to ensure alignment between the Alliance’s membership and its programs and services, as well as with the Alliance’s strategic plan. This position requires organizational and planning skills and the ability to speak to the Alliance’s value proposition both internally and externally. The position provides excellent customer service and must exhibit the highest degree of ethical conduct.
Critical Job Functions:
The following describe the critical functions of the role, but do not provide an exhaustive list of job responsibilities and duties.
- Work with the VP Commercialization to maintain and expand a membership development plan with goals, strategies, tactics, budget, and resource allocations.
- Develop and conduct membership outreach and engagement and communicate the Alliance’s value proposition to members and prospects.
- Own the sponsorship sales for Alliance signature and other events as assigned and serve as a sponsorship liaison.
- Develop and execute a new member on-boarding plan.
- Develop and execute a sponsor appreciation and reporting plans.
- Develop a strategy to engage mid-management, Vice President, and C-suite level employees at member companies for succession planning as it relates to the Alliance committees and board, furthering the Alliance’s JEDI efforts.
- Work with Alliance staff to execute signature events, Cluster development, advocacy, and other core programs and services; execute project components related to member participation and communication.
- Manage strategic relationships with the Alliance’s reciprocal partners including but not limited to other non-profits and NGO’s in the region.
Member Recruitment and Retention 50%
- Manage membership campaigns and membership sales channels to ensure that new members are consistently joining the Alliance.
- Work collaboratively with the VP of Commercialization regarding prospects and members identified for increased engagement and in coordination with the communications team, identify and share member press releases and success stories.
- In coordination with the VP of Commercialization, execute on the Alliance’s current membership retention plan. Identify at-risk members; strategize and implement plans to save at-risk accounts.
- Collaborate with the VP of Membership & Sponsorship on new ideas/concept to improve retention at all Alliance membership and investment levels.
- Schedule on-boarding meetings and coordinate appropriate Alliance staff to be in attendance.
- Manage annual renewal communications planning and conduct annual renewal outreach with guidance from VP of Commercialization, complete mailings, generate invoices, sponsorship proposals, and other member facing renewal materials.
- Assist the CEO and VP of Commercialization in creating complex invoices for high-level members
- Contact members consistently and continuously to communicate value proposition and promote engagement. Engagement should occur at all levels of contacts for the member record, building deeper connections working towards a goal of multiple connections at each company.
- Meet annual engagement and retention goals.
- Lead development and sell program and event sponsorship opportunities to existing and new members.
- Work with the Alliance CEO and VP of Commercialization to develop and manage sponsorship goals, targets, outreach strategies and reports.
- Lead development of annual sponsorship prospectus to outline available sponsorship packages and secure new and renewing sponsors.
- Ensure the fulfillment and satisfaction of each sponsorship contract with event and other program staff and provide onsite sponsor coordination at events,
- Lead the development and maintenance of detailed project records on sponsorship program progress and outcomes.
- Capture and report out all sponsorship activities, preparing regular reports as directed.
Data Management 10%
- Play a key role in organizational management of the CRM, ensuring that all relevant and important data is captured in a way to easily report on in the future. Also play a key role in creating staff buy-in and ensuring all staff is trained to use the database to capture all connections/contacts with customers.
- Supervise Membership staff.
- Report regularly on all activities relating to the role including membership sales, member retention efforts, and sponsorship sales.
- Create efficiency in communications and recurring processes.
- Manage membership dashboard and track monthly metrics and provide direction regarding prospects and sales process.
- Ensure staff maintain complete and accurate membership records in company database and records are regularly updated in communications software platforms.
- Oversee management and maintenance of all member invoices and payments received.
Engagement with the CleanTech Sector 5%
- Represent the CleanTech Alliance at industry events in pursuit of new members and organization brand development.
- Assist with regional membership networking event opportunities in coordination with Events staff.
- Maintain the prestige of the Energy Leadership Awards and develop opportunity for other member recognition.
Skills and Qualifications
- Minimum 3 years’ experience.
- Strong customer service focus and responsiveness.
- Previous experience with, or an interest in, membership organizations and engagement.
- Demonstrated proficiency in CRM systems with experience in lead tracking and sales growth.
- Strong proficiency in MS Office.
- Experience working with large sets of data in multiple systems (Excel, CRMs, etc.). Smartsheet experience preferred.
- Some graphic design experience with In-Design or Canva experience preferred.
- Detail-oriented, accurate, organized.
- Ability to interact effectively with members, volunteers, and staff, and as part of a team.
- Focus on interpersonal skills and able to relate successfully with a broad range of people .
- Ability to balance workload under short deadlines and changing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Effective written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently.
- Must be periodically available for events outside of traditional work hours.
The Chamber is committed to the health, safety, and well-being of all our employees, and takes seriously its duty to provide and maintain a provide a safe place to work, including reducing the threat and harm that the COVID-19 pandemic poses to the Chamber’s employees and their families; our members and partners; and the community at large. Consistent with this commitment, all eligible employees are required to receive be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless an exemption and reasonable accommodation is approved. Policy and accommodation information will be provided to all candidates upon request.
The Chamber is committed to internal and market equity. The range for this position $49,500 - $59,500.
The Chamber provides a comprehensive and competitive benefits package including but not restricted to:
- Medical/dental/vision coverage
- Vacation/sick/float leave
- Life Insurance
- Accidental death & dismemberment Insurance
- Long-term disability insurance
- Transit subsidies
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employer-matched 401(k) Contribution
- Tuition reimbursement
- Paid parental leave
- Wellspring EAP membership
- Personal accident insurance
- Generous holiday schedule and paid days off
We recognize the value of the Chamber and our affiliate organizations and programs reflecting the diversity of our community and are intentionally and actively seeking out applications from a variety of backgrounds, including members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC).
The Chamber is an equal opportunity employer. All employees and potential employees will be recruited, selected, trained, promoted, and, if necessary, disciplined without regard to sex, race, religion, creed, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, color, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, political ideology or activity, disability, honorably-discharged veteran or military status. All applicants are carefully screened, and full consideration is given to their training, education, skills, aptitudes, experience, and previous work record. In addition, the Chamber does not discriminate on the basis of genetic information in its employment related policies and practices, including coverage under its health benefits program.