108-25 62nd Drive
Borough of Queens
STATUS: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
SALARY: $13.00 P/Hour; Comprehensive Benefits Package
Queens Community House (QCH) is a multi-site, multi-service settlement house that serves the diverse population of Queens. We are a modern interpretation of the traditional settlement house, bringing to our work current best practices, cost-effective management, innovative leadership, and a passion for social and economic justice. Our mission is to provide individuals and families with the tools to enrich their lives and build healthy, inclusive communities.
We welcome amazing individuals who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change lives. We are seeking a qualified Custodian, reporting to the Supervisor of Maintenance to support the day-to-day cleanliness and safety of QCH’s facilities. The custodian is responsible for the maintenance, care and equipment of internal/external areas by completing specific tasks related to
cleaning, plumbing, minor electrical work, carpentry, or other areas of maintenance expertise. The ability to
operate equipment and machinery and lift in excess of 50 pounds is required.
- Responsible for opening or closing of facilities from the hours of 7:00am to 11:00pm per assigned schedule.
- Perform skilled maintenance work in the areas of trash removal, sweeping, mopping, dusting, scrubbing, and buffing floors and/or other areas of expertise while observing OSHA standards.
- Clean furniture, bathrooms, windows, walls, stairwells, lights, and equipment (e.g. activity tables, trash cans and bins) and all other elements assigned in a specific area.
- Complete external maintenance tasks and perform preventive work ensuring areas are free of litter, snow and/or hazardous items.
- Support inventory maintenance, upkeep and stocking of supplies.
- Manage room setup to ensure all rooms/spaces are prepared for classes, meetings, events, etc.; breakdown rooms once activities are completed.
- Assemble furniture and make repairs as needed.
- Transport materials and supplies to offsite locations.
- Report all damage to the physical plant, related breakage, malfunction and emergencies immediately upon discovery.
- Support planning and execution of special janitorial projects, initiatives and/or QCH events as necessary.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- High school degree or equivalency, some college coursework or specialized training preferred.
- 1-2 years of maintenance, custodial or janitorial experience.
- A valid New York State Driver’s License with clean driving record.
- Ability to work weekends; Knowledge of buffing and other maintenance machines preferred.
- Ability to work on a variety of physically-demanding tasks and lift 50 pounds.
- Familiarity with OSHA standards.
- Ability to work independently.
- Demonstrated attendance and punctuality in meeting required and flexible schedule.
- Ability to comprehend written and oral instruction (work orders) and document work.
- Demonstrated desire to learn on the job and advance skills.
This position is available immediately. Queens Community House offers a competitive salary commensurate with
experience and a comprehensive benefits package. The benefits package varies by position and may include
medical/dental/vision offerings, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, generous time off and a 403b plan. We value health and wellness too and as such Staff can earn annual leave days, sick days and enjoy most federal holidays. Staff can also take advantage of an array of professional development opportunities, including trainings and learning bits.
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of our diverse member community. If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter and resume, with subject line “Custodian” to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
Queens Community House
Human Resources Department
108-25 62nd Drive
Forest Hills, NY 11375
Candidates without a valid drivers license with a clean driving record will not be reviewed.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER v DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
Minimum Education Required