Details: Salary is competitive with NYC Department of Education (DOE)
300 Willoughby Avenue
Brooklyn Prospect Charter School is seeking a middle school Math Teacher for the 2018-2019 school year!
Ideal candidates have demonstrated success with a broad range of students and are looking to be a collaborative member of a highly professionalized learning community.
As part of a growing organization, you will play a vital role in school governance and curriculum development. As a Math teacher, you will help create and implement innovative curriculum designed to teach our diverse community of students.
Brooklyn Prospect Charter School is a K-12 college preparatory community where excellent teachers prepare a diverse student body to have a positive impact on society and a lifelong passion for learning.
Our Core Values are:
- Curiosity: Develop sound judgment and intellect by asking questions confidently and thinking critically
- Respect: Value others by taking a local and global perspective and appreciating differences
- Persistence: Grow and learn by solving problems with determination, creativity and tenacity
- Passion: Succeed by approaching challenges with excitement, enthusiasm and self assurance
As part of the Brooklyn Prospect Team, you will enjoy a full-time position with a competitive salary, full medical, dental, and vision benefits, 401(k) with employer match, and working in a supportive and collaborative environment.
We are a growing organization and opportunities for development and success are readily available.
As a teacher in our school's International Baccalaureate (IB) program, you will enjoy working closely with senior members of faculty, teach 4 sections of academic courses (Math courses), lead an advisory and tutorial, and may have other related duties.
As a Math teacher, your initiatives include:
- Planning content to incorporate the IB Aims and Objectives by IBO Subject Area Guides, as well as ensure that all local and state standards are being followed.
- Challenging one's own philosophies and methodologies of education to embrace teaching in the Five Areas of Interaction, which include Approaches to Learning, Environmental Awareness, Health and Social Education, Homo Faber, and Community Service.
- Working collaboratively with their teams in order to create units that demonstrate the interrelatedness of disciplines and encourage students to have a holistic view of knowledge per IB guidelines.
- Fostering a strong sense of Intercultural Awareness by developing creative, applicable lessons that integrate the study of real-world issues and allows students to understand multiple perspectives.
- Meeting and working with fellow grade level teachers and IB Coordinator to develop and monitor a scope and sequence for each of the Five Areas of Interaction
- Attending ongoing IB trainings and workshops in order to continue the development of the program and deepen your understanding of the MYP.
- Developing alternative forms of assessment, which allows students the opportunity to achieve based on the IB Assessment Criteria rubrics.
- Engineering opportunities for students to participate in Community and Service activities both inside and outside of the school day.
- Assist in midterm documentation of all students’ progress within the IB program based on IB assessment criteria
The critical features of this job are described above but not all encompassing.
For more information about the IB program, please visit:
Education and Training:
- A minimum of a bachelor's degree in a related field
- A Master's or above is a plus
- Experience with the IB Middle Years Program (MYP) and/or Diploma Program (DP) is a plus
- Full time position with a collaborative team
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Full medical, dental, vision benefits, plus 401(k) with employer match
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To Join our Team:
Please submit your resume and cover, including how you learned about the position, and the position for which you are applying via our website here.
Applications are reviewed as they are received, and Brooklyn Prospect gives preference to candidates who include a teaching demonstration video with their application.
Please note that due to the high volume of applicants, we will only notify those who meet our selection criteria.
Brooklyn Prospect is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates of diverse backgrounds.