Legal Aid of Southeastern PA (“LASP”) seeks a full-time Paralegal/Administrative Support person for the Norristown Office. LASP serves low-income individuals from Bucks, Chester, Delaware, and Montgomery counties facing issues regarding housing, including landlord tenant and foreclosure, family law, protection from domestic violence, consumer, employment and public benefits. The Norristown Office serves Montgomery County residents facing these issues. The Paralegal/Administrative Support person must be a team player, willing to handle a multitude of duties as needed. Strong Microsoft Word and Excel skills and experience with case management systems and bankruptcy software or an ability to quickly learn these and other computer skills is required. LASP serves a significant Spanish-speaking population in the Norristown area and therefore Spanish language fluency is highly desirable. The Paralegal/Administrative Support person must have the capacity to work both remotely and in-person in Norristown. The salary will be commensurate with experience and LASP’s personnel policy.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
1. Greet clients and guests;
2. Route incoming calls, pertinent information, and papers to lawyers and other organization staff;
3. Manage the office calendar and assist in meeting deadlines;
4. Perform other clerical duties such as scheduling appointments, coordinating meetings, providing information to callers, taking dictation, composing and typing routine correspondence, making copies, scanning documents, picking up, sorting and routing incoming mail and preparing outgoing mail;
5. Maintain files of correspondence and legal documents in office filing system according to office policy;
6. Order and maintain supplies and arrange for equipment maintenance;
7. Retrieve files for audits and other purposes as requested;
8. Prepare legal papers such as pleadings, motions, affidavits, subpoenas, and discovery from draft or dictated text under direction of an attorney;
9. Support other attorney and paralegal staff in preparing cases for hearings and trials;
10. Refer applicants and clients to other agencies and organizations for assistance;
11. Interview applicants and clients by phone or in person to determine eligibility; issue spot, ascertain and investigate relevant facts; and conduct legal research;
12. Open new files, distribute assigned cases from the Helpline to advocates and send case intake documents to clients for signature;
13. Under supervision of an attorney, triage calls, evaluate merit of cases, explain legal concepts to clients;
14. Create and maintain case files in LASP’s computer case management system, complete other administrative tasks including, but not limited to, entering notes and time into the case management system;
15. Organize information and use technical resources so that information necessary to assist applicants and clients is easy to access and can be transferred to other staff for extended representation;
16. Participate in LASP team efforts to achieve office and program goals, including program-wide affinity groups and task forces;
17. Develop knowledge of relevant law and community referral resources through training, CLE, and other educational opportunities;
18. Abide by all professional and ethical standards of excellence; and
19. Perform other duties as assigned or necessary for the effective operation of the office.
SUPERVISOR: Norristown Office Manager and Managing Attorney.
QUALIFICATIONS: Associates or bachelor’s degree. At least 2 years’ experience as a paralegal or related experience and/or training. Demonstrated proficiency in computer technology, including Microsoft products (particularly Word, Outlook and Excel), record and timekeeping software, routine database activity, graphics, etc. Excellent communication, time management and organization skills. Spanish language fluency is desirable.
LASP is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate in the recruitment, selection, or advancement of employees on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age (40 or older), disability, genetic information or on any other basis prohibited by law.
TO APPLY: Send resume and cover letter including the job title (Norristown Paralegal/Administrative Support Staff (MRUC08232021)) to Kesha James, Deputy Director for Advocacy at Legal Aid of Southeastern Pennsylvania by email to Hiring@lasp.org.
Position will remain open until filled.
Legal Aid of Southeastern PA (“LASP”) seeks a full-time Paralegal/Administrative Support person for the Norristown Office. LASP serves low-income individuals from Bucks, Chester, Delaware, and Montgomery counties facing issues…
Spanish language fluency is desirable
Spanish language fluency is desirable