The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The IRC Yemen began its Health, Nutrition and Environmental Health programs in response to the impact of conflicts in Abyan and Aden Governorates in October 2012. Health interventions are aimed at increasing access to curative and preventive health services; while the nutrition intervention is to ensure children under five have access to inpatient and outpatient treatment for severe and moderate acute malnutrition. Environmental Health interventions are aimed at reducing the risk and spread of environmental health related diseases, including provision of safe and dignified access to improved water supply and sanitation facilities to disaster affected communities and health facilities; the promotion of safe hygiene practices and the strengthening of community institutions, including health facilities to support and sustain Environmental Health services. To address the recent and ongoing conflict, the IRC has initiated emergency Health and Environmental Health interventions to war affected populations, IDPs and host families. In November 2015, IRC initiated protection mainstreaming activities within Health, Nutrition, and Environmental Health programming. Currently IRC Yemen is operating in eight governorates in the south and north of Yemen through direct programming and through local partnership, in Health, Environmental Health, Nutrition, Economic Recovery Development and Women Protection and Empowerment.
SUMMARY STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Environmental Health Coordinator is responsible for overseeing the implementation of all Environmental Health programming supported by the IRC in Yemen. She/he will provide technical and managerial leadership to Environmental Health program and ensure all activities are of high quality and respond to immediate needs. This position is based in in Sana with regular travel to Aaden, and reports to the Deputy Director of Programs.
- Coordinate with the Deputy Director of Programs to develop and implement a response to assessed Environmental Health needs, which is in accordane with the country program strategic plan.
- Oversight of the technical aspects of the implementation and coordination of the Environmental Health program.
- Ensure that all IRC Yemen Environmental Health projects are implemented in a timely and professional manner, according to estabilished objectives, goals and indicators and in line with donor requirements and beneficiary needs
- Lead the Environmental Health teams in the development, implementation and monitoring of work plans, ensuring that activities reflect the commitments IRC made to the donor and the community.
- Ensure all implementation plans employ a programming approach that integrates the needs of other sectors of work.
Reporting and proposal development
- Ensure the timely submission of information for intrensl and donor reports for all Environmental Health activities, including reporting against the logical framework.
- In accordance with the country program strategic plan, IRC program framework and IRC Environmental Health strategies, lead the development of Environmental Health sections in new funding opportunities, including developing logical frameworks.
- Lead and coordinate the development of Environmental Health budgets, including when requited the revision and realignment of existing budgets.
- Review all reports and proposals prepared by Environmental Health staff, provide appropriate feedback to the concerned staff, and ensure that quality reports are written and submitted to concerned bodies in a timely manner.
- Ensure all Environmental Health programs achieve are delivered to the required standrad, on time and within budget.
- Monitor Budget vs. Actual expenditure for Environmental Health programs on a monthly basis. Ensureing timely corrective action is take to address any variances.
- Actively participate in Grant Management Meetings and ensure resulting actions are followed up.
Monitoring & Evaluation
- Select and implement appropriate monitoring and evaluations systems, analyzing results to ensure and enhance program effectiveness and quality.
- Evaluate field needs for technical interventions and make recommendations as needed.
- Monitor and evaluate appropriate implementation of technical projects against program objectives and IRC’s Program Framework during field monitoring visits.
- Ensure all Environmental Health programs operate appropriate client voice and response mechanism.
Staff Management & Development
- Manage and supervise all Environmental Health managers in the Environmental Health Program;
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions;
- Overall responsibility for Environmental Health managers’ timesheets, work plans, vacation schedules, and staff training/development activities.
Coordination & Representation
- In coordination with the Deputy Director of Programs, establish contacts with relevant international/local NGOs and line ministries in the area of operation;
- Regularly attend WASH cluster meetings or other represent the IRC in other relevant forums;
- Upon request by the Country Management Team, organize and facilitate field visits for stakeholders interested in IRC’s Environmental Health programming.
- Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop IRC programs.
- Liaise regularly with the relevant HQ technical units.
- Proven technical skills with a university degree in civil/environmental engineering or related field
- Minimum 5 years professional technical experience in Environmental Health, Civil or Sanitation engineering or equivalent
- Minimum 3 years overseas experience, preferably in a conflict or post disaster setting;
- Strong project planning, organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills;
- Good written and verbal skills in the English language. Arabic is not required however it would be a distinct advantage.
- Strong leadership and management skills.
- Must be comfortable in being a proactive member of the senior management team. Must have a proven track-record of proactively identifying and communicating potential problems and proposing solutions.
- Must be able to function effectively in a complex work environment and to set appropriate priorities and deal effectively with competing priorities and pressure
- Ability to carry out responsibilities independently with minimal technical support.
- Must have excellent interpersonal communication skills and professional patience and be able to interact, partner and thrive in a diverse environment
- Committed to staff training and development and effective at facilitation
- Competent in Windows, MS office programs, AutoCAD (or similar computer aided design), email and database experience
- Commitment to the IRC’s mission, purpose and values.
Professional Standards: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in The IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity Anti-Retaliation and Combating Trafficking in Persons
Work Environment: There is active conflict in parts of the country and a possibility of the conflict expanding into other locations. The situation in Sana’a is currently quiet, however its remains unpredictable. Security will be thoroughly discussed during the interview process.
Housing: Lodging in Sana’a and Aden is in shared IRC guesthouse. All IRC sites have electricity and internet. Food is the individual’s responsibility.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Minimum Education Required