Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Chief of Media, Marketing & Communications is responsible for planning, directing and overseeing external and internal communications, including rapid response, public and media relations, and marketing and branding. Tasks and duties will fall within the following buckets across the Communications Department, including:
Strategy & Management
- Develop, implement, and evaluate the annual communications plan across all audiences, including quarterly goals and individual KPIs;
- Oversee a diverse group of Fellows who contribute to the social media strategy and amplification of CEEP’s organizing, learning and advocacy work;
- Manage consultants, including public relations, web designers and mail houses, as needed;
- Track and measure the level of engagement within the network over time;
- Develops and maintains a departmental budget and ensure overall fiscal integrity of the program.
Public Relations & Media
- Write press releases on behalf of the CEO, Board of Directors, and CEEP to promote the work and mission of the organization as well as raise awareness of its impact;
- Foster relationships with national and local media outlets (i.e. The New York Times, The Hill, The Washington Post, etc.,) that will publish pieces on CEEP and the impact they are having in the civic engagement landscape.
Design & Branding
- Create a branding toolkit that aligns CEEPs staff, Fellows and partners on how to properly represent the organization, including logo representation, approved language, etc.;
- Oversee branding guidelines, ensuring that the organization, its partners and Fellows have the appropriate toolkit when speaking about CEEP;
- In tandem with the Donor Engagement Team, create and design various appeals for email, social and mailed appeals that bolster CEEPs funding pool.
- Draft talking points and presentations that amplify the programmatic work and successes for speaking opportunities and conferences;
- Monitor local, state and national news and draft rapid response pieces in response to laws and proposed bills adversely affecting CEEPs work;
- Manage CEEPs email communication platform ensuring all contact lists are segmented and updated regularly to receive updates that are of interest to them.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Communications, Public Relations or related field.
- 8+ years of communications work in nonprofit, with a focus on content and messaging creation, media management and design work.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and execute projects across multiple teams.
- Demonstrated ability to manage strategic planning while being able to respond to short-term organizational needs.
- Proven track record of producing press releases and public statements that have been released for public consumption.
- Working knowledge of email marketing platforms and social media platforms, including Mail Chimp, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
- Familiarity with and understanding of CRMs.
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills; including the ability to communicate effectively and professionally with other staff, partner organizations, elected and appointed officials, corporate/business representatives, and community members.
- Commitment to transparency, accountability, and direct communication.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a fast-paced environment with multiple priorities and tight deadlines.
- Ability to manage highly sensitive, confidential information using excellent judgment at all times.
- Must have a commitment to DEI and cultural competency, including an awareness of one's own cultural worldview, a welcoming attitude towards cultural differences, an appreciative knowledge of different cultural practices and worldviews, and cross-cultural skills.
- Experience working in a movement organization, including ones focused on Voting Rights, Social Justice, Civil Rights or Youth.
- Experience working with or within a higher education institution, People of Color Serving Institutions (PoCSIs, e.g., HSIs and HBCUs a plus).
- Extremely reliable and available on evenings and weekends for occasional events and conferences.
This is a remote position, work may be performed anywhere in the United States.