254 36th Street
About the Organization:
The Financial Clinic’s mission is to build working poor people’s financial security. The Clinic works toward its vision of a nation where everyone is financially secure by transforming lessons learned on the ground into large-scale, systems-level solutions to impact working poor people nationwide. We offer a better way for nonprofits and human services to address the financial security of their participants through a software platform that incorporates powerful financial coaching strategies called Change Machine.
The Financial Clinic has demonstrated a “gold standard” model for building financial security for working poor families. A high-performing organization with a focus on results, the Clinic has put over $70 million back in the pockets of more than 47,000 customers, supported more than 490 organizations in 40 states and districts embed financial security actions into their program models, and successfully launched several policy campaigns in support of working poor families. A landmark national study shows the Clinic’s model of financial coaching helps working poor families move toward financial security.
About the Position:
The Director of Development is primarily responsible for securing contributed revenue opportunities for the Clinic by identifying, cultivating and managing individual and institutional relationships. This position requires a dynamic individual who’s able to see the “big picture” and make connections to both CREATE a fundraising strategy that will help the Clinic achieve its goals, and EXECUTE that strategy. The Director of Development will supervise the Development Manager and build the future infrastructure of the lane.
Key Responsibilities: Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer of The Financial Clinic, the Director of Development, will have the following responsibilities:
- Contribute to organizational decision making as an active member of the senior team.
- Manage and oversee the Development staff performance in the areas of grant-writing and reporting, the annual membership program, database management, and donor stewardship
- Maintain a proactive, creative leadership role in the identification, cultivation, solicitation and tracking corporate, foundation and government grants
- Translate the organizational annual priorities into a fundraising plan.
- Create a lane workplan and support the creation of development staff’s individual workplans.
- Empower all Clinic staff to develop and cultivate relationships with potential partners, funders, subscribers and stakeholders through effective communications strategies
- Build and manage a development advisory committee.
- Actively network to build field connections and help spread the good work of the Clinic.
- Create and implement a fundraising plan with Chief Executive Officer to meet annual fundraising goal of $5 million.
- Develop and maintain close working relationships with the philanthropic community, individual
- and corporate donors, sponsors, board members and volunteers
- Create and implement targeted campaigns as identified by the organization’s priorities.
- Create and manage to KPIs laid out for the lane to meet strategic priorities.
- Identify opportunities to diversify the organization’s funding streams, including through impact.
- investments and program related investments.
- Explore new funding opportunities, cultivate relationships and leverage communications campaigns for future funding.
- Provide regular, detailed, accurate and timely reports on fundraising activity to the C-suite, Development Committee, Board of Directors and others
- Support the Chief Executive Officer on all fundraising activities.
- Support the Board of Directors on all fundraising activities.
- Manage the grant cycle process from prospecting opportunities to crafting proposals, follow ups, managing reports, and translating grant deliverables to the team.
- Manage the development lane by ensuring that the appropriate systems, staffing, and procedures are in place to support fundraising goals
- Financial Reporting: Work with finance team to develop and produce financial and other related reports for all fundraising activities.
- 5 to 10 years’ experience in fundraising and development or transferable nonprofit expertise
- A demonstrated commitment to the Clinic’s mission is highly desirable.
- Bachelor’s degree is required, ideal candidate will have a master’s degree.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to build and lead a team; ideal candidate will have supervision or management experience.
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently but with the judgment to know when to seek
- Flexibility and adaptability to address concerns in a dynamic environment.
- Looking to make a long-term commitment to the Clinic.
- The position is based in New York City.
- Experience in Microsoft Office, Excel, and Powerpoint required
- Experience in Salesforce, Asana or comparable project management software preferred
This is an outstanding leadership opportunity for a motivated professional to join a fast-growing, highly respected organization. We are seeking an individual of outstanding quality with an eagerness to collaborate and the ability to deliver.
The Clinic offers a competitive compensation package, including:
- Excellent benefit package: includes medical, dental, life, 401(k), transportation subsidy and more
- Ample vacation time: four weeks of paid vacation accumulated during the year plus 12 federal
- First Fridays: work from home every first Friday of the month
- Summer Fridays: we close our offices at 2pm every Friday throughout the summer
- Work-life balance: if the generous vacation time and First Fridays haven't convinced you, let us
- assure you that we are serious about work-life balance.
- Fun work environment: we work out of a beautifully designed open workspace at Industry City in
- Sunset Park Brooklyn, that promotes team building and a fun tech work space.
- We schedule monthly socials to celebrate staff birthdays and have been known to throw surprise parties too!
Minimum Education Required