Details: Commensurate with experience and duties
1705 DeSales Street, NW
Job Description and Responsibilities
The Sentencing Project is seeking an entrepreneurial Communications Associate who will assume primary responsibility for the organization’s social media presence by posting daily content, both original and repurposed, with prioritization for presentations that are innovative and visual. The associate will also facilitate the launch of a new social media effort corresponding with the organization’s upcoming campaign to end sentences of life imprisonment. The associate position is responsible for drafting content for newsletters, the website and other communications outlets, under the supervision of the Communications Manager.
Other responsibilities may include supporting research and advocacy projects, such as assisting on research, publication production, or advocacy events and outreach.
Desirable skills and experience include the following:
• Bachelor degree
• Two years relevant public interest experience
• Strong research and writing skills
• Strong technical skills, including website communication, newsletter and publication layout, social media, data visualization,
• Commitment to criminal justice reform and racial justice
• Experience with Adobe Illustrator and InDesign preferred
• Experience with graphic design, video production and photography desirable
Current benefits package includes three weeks paid vacation; health, dental, life and disability insurance; contribution to 403(b) retirement plan and Metro transportation subsidy.
Minimum Education Required