Details: Commensurate with experience
District of Columbia
The Open Contracting Partnership (OCP) is a silo-busting collaboration between government, business, civil society and technologists to open up the documents and data behind government contracting and deal-making. We work across sectors and along the whole process of government contracting to use the power of open data and improved oversight to save governments money and time, deliver better goods and services to citizens, deter corruption and create a better business environment for all.
We can offer you an important role working on a great mission within an awesome team in a friendly, flexible, fast moving organization. We are looking for a motivated, talented senior professional to join us as our Head of Finance. You will join a savvy, hard-working global team fostering innovation on, and implementation of, open contracting around the world.
You will play a strategic leadership role in OCP’s growth and development. You will advise the Executive Director (ED), OCP’s other two Directors and OCP’s Advisory Board on matters relating to financial planning and management. You will ensure the quality and continual improvement of OCP’s financial operations and systems. You will manage budgeting, accounting, cash management, donor reporting, and grant management.
The Head of Finance will report to the Executive Director. The position will be based in Washington DC (you need to have a valid work permit) at our WeWork office in Washington DC where we work with partners in over 35 cities and countries across the world.
We offer opportunities for professional development and occasional travel, as well as an excellent benefits package and compensation that is commensurate with reputation, experience and location and a generous matched pension contribution.
About the Opportunity
This is an exciting time for OCP as we are growing as an organization with great early example of impact and a budget of between US$3m to $4m. We are keen to improve our budget and financial planning and reporting systems and procedures to be able to account for committed funding and accruals. As our Head of Finance you would play a critical role in supporting OCP’s growth and maturation to this end.
We are a fiscally sponsored organization. Our Fiscal Sponsor is the Fund For the City of New York (FCNY). Under this arrangement, FCNY provides fiscal and human resource support to OCP. Thus the Head of Finance will not be responsible for preparing audits, but will work very closely with FCNY to ensure timely and accurate financial and grant reports are available at any given time. We also work with an accountant who helps us track our monthly spending on a day-to-day basis on Quickbooks Online. Once hired, the Head of Finance will likely take over this role working with our operations and finance associate for help. We are open to consider becoming an independent non-profit in the medium term.
OCP has an Advisory Board with a Treasurer. The Advisory Board serves in an advisory capacity to oversee the strategy and program. We are a team of 12 individuals based in six countries (US, Canada, Mexico, UK, Colombia and Lithuania).
Budgeting and Financial Planning
- Play a key role in OCP’s team, ensuring cost effectiveness and efficiency in addressing issues related to organizational growth and development and delivery of our strategy.
- Prepare OCP’s annual budget aligning limited resources with strategic objectives and annual plans in conjunction with the ED.
- Present the annual budget for review by OCP’s directors and for approval by the Advisory Board. Provide timely, accurate monthly spending reports against that budget.
- Work with Head of Programs/Regions to develop and monitor program budgets and restricted vs unrestricted spending on an ongoing basis, develop grant budgets and track spending against grants.
- Work with OCP’s directors to introduce systems and processes to track committed spending.
- Prepare revenue and expenditure forecasts.
- Prepare timely, monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports together with FCNY; present financial reports to OCP’s directors and other key stakeholders, such as Treasurer of the Advisory Board, in a manner that is clear, concise, and allows for timely decision-making.
- Evaluate on a pro-active basis the organization’s financial position, issuing monthly reports on cash, revenues, and expenses.
- Oversee and manage day-to-day financial management, covering all areas of finance such as accounts payable and disbursements, corporate credit card administration, cash receipts, cash flow, global payroll processing, and general ledger maintenance.
- Prepare and deliver financial reports for OCP’s advisory board and donors and serve as the main contact points with financial stakeholders.
- Work with ED to monitor OCP’s operating reserves, and ensure compliance with OCP’s policies.
- Assess and evaluate budget and financial processes and procedures; identify and implement opportunities for improvement; continually asses finance information systems, software packages, and technologies.
- Support FCNY staff in the maintenance of internal control systems, and adherence accounting policies and procedures.
- Participate in policy and strategy development as a member of the senior leadership team.
The Head of Finance will have at least 4-5 years of public accounting experience or 5-8 years of controller/Head of Finance experience, gathering and evaluating financial information and making actionable recommendations to senior leadership. She or he will have experience managing finance (accounting, budgeting, and reporting) for a nonprofit with multiple funding sources. Ideally the Head of Finance will have experience with or a good understanding of fiscal sponsorship and what it means to operate under it.
- Strong academic credentials, including an advanced degree in finance or a related field, are preferred.
- CPA designation with public accounting experience or MBA preferred.
Required Experience and Knowledge:
- Strong knowledge of general ledger accounting and financial reporting under Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Budgeting, strategic planning, and accounting with multiple currencies and conversion.
- Long range planning and budgeting with a diversified donor base and multiple currency environment.
- General understanding of tax and audit principles.
- Experience with web based accounting systems, such as Quick Books which we currently use.
- Prior experience with financial management in a global organization.
- Technology and process driven.
- Highly organized, detail oriented and self-motivated
- Collaborative mindset and strong interpersonal skills.
- Remain positive in high pressure and stressful situations.
- Critical thinking, communication, and relationship-building skills.
- Action oriented and results focused.
- Flexible and resourceful approach.
- Ability to train, develop and mentor staff.
- Ability to provide value-added analytical insight and perspective. Ability to analyze and report on complex financial activities of the organization.
- Good sense of humor.
We are dedicated to equal employment opportunity and aim to cultivate and sustain a diverse, equitable, and inclusive team. We really value and prioritize diversity as a range of experiences and perspectives enriches our work and strengthens our ability to address complex challenges.
We are especially keen to hear from candidates from diverse backgrounds. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Minimum Education Required