Under moderate supervision and with a high level of independent judgment and discretion, manage the daily operations of the Computer Labs utilized by programs located at the Pratt Manhattan Center in New York City. This position includes supporting hardware, software, servers and network connectivity for all computer lab equipment, supervising student staff, providing support to lab users and supporting the digital output services.
- Manage the operation of the Macintosh computer lab operations used by the programs located at the Pratt Manhattan Center in New York City. This includes student staffing and training, security and equipment/network function; set up and configure lab computers and equipment; troubleshoot software compatibility in an Active Directory environment.
- Manage the network servers and devices associated with the assigned labs.
- Assist in configuring computers in labs so that classes can be successfully meet and fulfill necessary curriculum. Ensure all additional resources are provided.
- Ensure that equipment is well maintained and repair when necessary (i.e., recommend equipment and software purchases; generate appropriate purchase requisitions; generate reports for repairs, inventory, scheduling and staffing, etc.).
- Assist student, faculty and administrative users (i.e., provide instruction, enforce usage policies, etc.).
- Supervise hire and supervise student workers.
- Keep running inventory of hardware and software; provide basic documentation about the operation of lab equipment and the use of software.
- Provide materials and information concerning lab budgetary and equipment needs upon request.
- Work with outside vendors to repair or replace failing equipment that is covered by service contract or warrantee.
- Perform all related duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
Education: Associate's degree in computer science preferred or equivalent technical training and experience required; or Bachelor's degree in computer science preferred.
Experience: Two to five years systems experience supporting Macintosh computers in a networked environment required; experience supporting Windows computers operating system a plus. Experience with a multiple software packages associated with art & design education such as Adobe Creative Suite, and CAD/modeling & animation software. Computer facility management experience, particularly in an educational environment preferred. Macintosh certification a plus.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Demonstrated knowledge of Mac systems operations in a network environment, demonstrated knowledge of systems operation (Mac) and ability to install software and hardware; familiarity with current software and hardware trends, and knowledge of TCP/IP networking protocols preferred. Knowledge of audiovisual equipment a plus. Requires above average organizational, oral, customer service and interpersonal skills. Experience working in an educational environment a plus. Must have the ability to communicate effectively with diverse populations, as well as demonstrated sensitivity to cross cultural perspectives and experiences.
Other: Must have above average organizational, verbal and interpersonal skills.
TO APPLY: Please submit your cover letter and resume. If you are selected for an interview, please be prepared to provide at least 5 References via our on-line reference tool system. At least 2 of your References must be, or have been, your direct managers.
PRATT INSTITUTE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND RECOGNIZES AND VALUES THE BENEFITS OF A DIVERSE WORKFORCE.
Minimum Education Required