Details: $18/hour for 10 hours/week
4700 North Ravenswood
Location: Chicago or New York City
Description: 10 hours/week
Hourly Rate: $18
The Community Engagement Assistant is integral in building and strengthening Avodah’s work aimed at transforming the wider Jewish community’s understanding of, and engagement with, social justice. The Community Engagement Assistant supports the projects, programs, and partnerships behind Avodah’s national community engagement work. The ideal individual will have the ability to exercise good judgment in a variety of situations, with strong written and verbal communication, attention to detail, administrative, and organizational skills, and the ability to maintain a realistic balance among multiple priorities. Avodah is a small, fast-paced, and mission-driven environment. The Community Engagement Assistant reports to the Rabbi-in-Residence, who is located in Chicago.
This position will be based in Avodah’s New York or Chicago office. It is a part-time position, approximately 10 hours per week. We offer a flexible work schedule and will design a schedule to accommodate you, as reasonable.
- Managing a calendar of appointments, ensuring coordination of internal and external meetings, completing expense reports, managing and prioritizing daily email, composing and preparing correspondence that is sometimes confidential, arranging travel plans, itineraries and agendas, and compiling documents for meetings.
- Supporting Rabbi-in-Residence in preparing for and debriefing meetings and conferences, adding contact info to Avodah’s contacts database and creating action steps for follow-up.
- Managing and maintaining data for Avodah’s community engagement efforts.
- Communicating regularly with community engagement partners.
- Working on and/or managing special projects for the Rabbi-in-Residence as assigned, including event planning support, report writing, and materials preparations.
- Assisting Community Engagement Team (Alumni Director, Director of Communications, and Recruitment Director) on any relevant projects as they come up.
WORK EXPERIENCE / SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills, ability to manage complex tasks
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively
- Impeccable standards with meticulous attention to detail
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to handle a large volume of work, prioritize, multi-task, and be flexible
- Experience with Google applications
- Creative thinker with excellent written and oral communication skills
- A high degree of professionalism required
- Emotional maturity
- Bachelor’s degree is a benefit but not required
Paid sick and vacation time as well as group life insurance.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send cover letter and resume. Please use the subject line: Community Engagement Assistant. Resumes without a cover letter will not be considered. No phone calls, please. We apologize that because of the volume of applications, we are able only to respond to those applicants granted an interview.
Applications will be accepted until we hire, but we strongly encourage interested candidates to
submit their applications by May 1st.
Avodah is an equal opportunity employer. Sephardic and Mizrahi Jews, people of color, women, people with disabilities, immigrants, LGBT2QIA people, and people who come from poor or working class backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.