Launched in 1983 as Public Interest Projects, a 501(c)(3) public charity, NEO Philanthropy is a New York based national leader in innovative philanthropic solutions. We lead large-scale collaborative grant-making funds on a range of social justice issues, provide fiscal sponsorship and management to projects and campaigns, manage donor advised funds and develop organization and field-focused capacity building initiatives.
Reporting to the Assistant Director of Finance Operations, the Payroll Specialist is responsible for the organization’s payroll functions, ensuring all payroll updates are processed on time, accurately, and in compliance with government regulations. This position will work closely with the Human Resources team, Accounting team, and FP&A (Financial Planning & Analysis) team, and collaboratively with various program departments at NEO.
NEO Philanthropy has its headquarters in NYC and the Finance department are based in that office. NEO HQ has a hybrid work remote structure based on job function. It is our expectation that this role will be able to come into the NY office at least once a week , remaining remote for other days of the week.
All NEO staff are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Requests for medical and/or religious exemptions from the vaccination requirement will be considered on an individual basis, to the extent required by law.
· Working with the HR team, maintains and reviews the payroll processing system (UKG) for the timely and accurate processing of payroll transactions including salaries, timesheets, benefits, taxes, deductions, and garnishments.
· Processes bi-monthly payrolls timely and accurately; ensures processing of payroll updates including new hires, terminations, changes to pay rates, and deduction changes…etc.
· Reviews the accuracy and completeness of payroll data and follows up with HR or employees on missing/ incorrect information.
· Manages the hourly timesheet process by sending reminders to hourly employees and supervisors; setting up timesheet permissions in the payroll system; and providing tech support around timesheet submission.
· Ensures that all timesheets are submitted and approved by tracking down any missing timesheets in a timely manner prior to each pay period.
· Manages the payroll general email account to answer questions and requests from employees.
Payroll Tax & Compliance
· Ensures compliance with federal, state, and local payroll, wages, and hour laws and best practices; studies existing and new legislation; enforces adherence to requirements; and advises the Assistant Director of Finance Operations on needed actions.
· Handles the registration process for state withholding tax ID/account, state unemployment insurance tax ID/account, and other local tax accounts.
· Ensures that the payroll agency (UKG) files monthly and quarterly reports timely and accurately to prevent penalties and interests.
· Manages year-end process including W2s and other tax forms.
· Assists the Assistant Director of Finance Operations and CFO in conducting NEO’s annual 401k/pension audit.
· Assists in financial and 401k audit processes by providing records and documentation to auditors.
· Manages annual workers’ compensation audit.
· Working with the Accounting team, reconciles benefit deductions, and resolves payroll discrepancies.
· Working with the FP&A team, ensures the allocation of coding and effort percentages.
· Prepares and maintains accurate records of payroll transactions.
· Identifies and recommends updates to payroll processing software, systems, and procedures.
· Develops and maintains payroll-related policies.
· Other duties, or special projects as assigned by the supervisor.
To perform this job successfully, the incumbent must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The qualifications listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Bachelor’s Degree
· Extensive knowledge of the payroll function including preparation, processing/completing, internal control, and payroll taxes.
· Three to five years of directly related work experience required.
· Proficiency in Excel required.
· Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
· Strong oral and written communication skills.
· Aligned with NEO’s values and mission for social justice, diversity, equity and inclusion.
· Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
· Experience working with UKG preferred
· Ability to work on multiple projects successfully, while maintaining collaborative relationships with other departments.
· Strong orientation toward collaboration and cross-functional partnership.
Launched in 1983 as Public Interest Projects, a 501(c)(3) public charity, NEO Philanthropy is a New York based national leader in innovative philanthropic solutions. We lead large-scale collaborative grant-making funds on a range…
Compensation for this role will vary depending on the experience of the candidate. The salary range for this position is $65,000 to $72,000 per year. NEO provides generous benefits, which includes medical, dental, vision, life, long term disability, and pet insurance. We also administer FSA, Commuter benefit, and 401k retirement plans and have generous Paid Time Off and an Employee Assistance Program (EAP). Additionally, NEO provides additional resources for remote work office set up (initial funds and annual allotment), as well as an annual fund for professional development opportunities.
Position Basis: Full-time, Exempt
Start date: As soon as possible. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Compensation for this role will vary depending on the experience of the candidate. The salary range for this position is $65,000 to $72,000 per year. NEO provides…
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should apply here. Please include resume and cover letter for consideration. Applications submitted by August 3, 2022 will be considered. Only those whose applications are being considered will be contacted. No phone calls please. NEO Philanthropy is an equal opportunity employer. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other legally protected status.
NEO Philanthropy Careers:
NEO Philanthropy is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding, and enables each of us to realize our potential. NEO Philanthropy's work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should apply here. Please include resume and cover letter for consideration. Applications submitted by August 3, 2022 will be considered. Only…