About Access Now:
Access Now is an international human rights organization dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world, including issues of privacy, security, freedom of expression, and transparency. Our Policy, Advocacy, Technology, Grantmaking, and Operations teams have staff presences in Europe, Latin America, the Middle East/North Africa (MENA), Sub-Saharan Africa, North America, and South/Southeast Asia, to provide global support to our mission.
About the Role:
Our growing development arm is seeking a full-time staff member to support the organization’s growing portfolio of funding relationships. The ideal candidate is an exceptional writer and researcher who is passionate about human rights and excited to support a mission-driven organization by helping to secure core and project-based funding from foundations, governments, and other funders. This role will report to the Operations and Development Manager, and work closely with the Director of Organizational Growth and Impact, Director of Finances and HR, and other members of the development team.
This position presents the right candidate the unique opportunity to be an important part of a rapidly growing human rights organization, and contribute to the critical task strengthening organizational sustainability. As a growing organization and a growing team, there is opportunity for career advancement and the evolution of the role.
As Grant Writer, you will be contributing significantly to the writing and editing of compelling grant proposals to foundations, governments, and other stakeholders who might support Access Now’s work. You’ll work with a highly diverse team and have ample opportunity to assist Access Now program staff in developing and transforming program or research ideas into well-organized and persuasive grant proposals. In addition, you will also have the opportunity to:
- Perform prospect research to identify new prospective funders
- Prepare and submit online funding inquiries and concept notes
- Track and monitor major grant deadlines, and help manage related timelines from submission to final decision to closeout
- Support the administration of grant agreements, including filing
- Prepare and submit narrative reports as required by grant agreements
- Write progress reports and prepare presentations to communicate the major accomplishments of Access Now’s programs and initiatives.
- Coordinate with the Director of Finances and Senior Accountant on financial components as needed
- Coordinate with programmatic staff on grant-related developments as needed, including the tracking of outcomes for reporting purpose through the year
- Work with other members of the Development Team to prepare key fundraising and donor cultivation materials (including an Annual Report, funder briefing documents, and more)
- Maintain a working knowledge of the interests and expectations of the organization’s major funders.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills
- Ability to write clear, structured, articulate, and persuasive proposals
- Ability to collect, synthesize, and recycle large amounts of writing
- Attention to detail and ability to track and meet deadlines
- Knowledge of and passion for Access Now’s mission and work
- Strong contributor in team environments
- Experience with proposal writing and institutional donors preferred
Women and LGBTQI individuals are encouraged to apply. We are keen to receive applications from people who consider themselves under-represented in the human rights and technology communities — even if they feel they meet only some of the qualifications.
This is a full time position based in New York, NY.
Access Now is an international human rights organization committed to diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. We value and encourage diversity and consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status.
This commitment applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.
For further information, please contact Ben Whelan, Global Risk and Operations Manager, at email@example.com; PGP Key: 0x1F2EC60E, or, alternatively, reply to the original sender.
Salary and Benefits:
Competitive salary ($50k – $60k) commensurate with experience.
We also offer benefits to help our employees grow, embrace new challenges, and advance their careers, including comprehensive health benefits, generous vacation and holiday leave, opportunities for travel, and access our global network of knowledge and expertise.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following documents attached:
- Cover letter; and
- Two references.
- A writing sample that strongly represents your writing is preferred but not required – it will aide in identifying and efficiently advancing strong candidates for the position.
When emailing your application, please include “Grant Writer – [Your Name]” in the subject line.
ASAP, with applications accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.