The Council of State Governments Justice Center (CSG Justice Center) is a national nonprofit organization that provides practical, nonpartisan advice and evidence-based, consensus-driven strategies, to increase public safety and strengthen communities. The CSG Justice Center works closely with legislative leaders, judges, prosecutors, defense attorneys, victim advocates, and others to develop consensus on often highly politicized criminal justice issues and to translate this consensus into comprehensive reports, policy briefs, state and federal legislation, model policies, and innovative programs. The CSG Justice Center not only develops written and web-based materials, but also provides on-the-ground technical assistance to policymakers and practitioners from multiple systems (corrections, behavioral health, housing, etc.) in state and local jurisdictions.
Working as part of the Justice Center's Behavioral Health Division and reporting directly to the technical assistance project manager, the Policy Analyst will be responsible for providing technical assistance and managing projects to enhance collaboration between corrections, community supervision, courts, law enforcement, other criminal justice agencies, and behavioral health agencies; analyzing relevant, administrative policy, research, and legislation; coordinating a team of expert consultants providing technical assistance; and coordinating and participating in politically sensitive meetings with high-ranking local, state, and federal officials, advocates, and other experts across the country. This position offers a significant responsibility and opportunity for growth to an individual seeking to advance a career in criminal justice policy with a focus on behavioral health.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Specific responsibilities of the Policy Analyst include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Providing technical assistance to behavioral health, corrections, community supervision agencies, law enforcement including those receiving federal grants. Duties include:
- Cultivating relationships across stakeholders involved with each grant program;
- Coordinating, leading, and documenting site visits;
- Maintaining regular communication with grantees;
- Providing guidance and resources to assist grantees in meeting their program goals;
- Contributing to the development of and facilitating grantee training activities such as webinars and online learning communities
- Documenting technical assistance contacts and activities in a timely manner
- With guidance from senior staff, developing written products, including policy briefs, research memos, and presentations that concisely and clearly describe complex analyses and policy options to policymakers;
- Contributing to the development and implementation of long range strategies to guide the Justice Center's behavioral health work;
- Working with a wide range of stakeholders focused on city/county government, law enforcement, criminal justice and behavioral health technical assistance efforts;
- Monitoring timelines and deliverables to ensure that responsibilities to funders are met in assigned project areas;
- Responding to requests from the field for information and resources;
- Contributing to the development of implementation tools and protocols that build consistency in technical assistance service delivery among the team;
- Conducting policy analysis and advising on policy and practice change recommendations;
- Updating managers and senior staff of relevant project developments and other work in the field that impacts project goals; and
- Participating actively in staff discussions and strategic planning meetings.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent research, writing, and editing skills and an analytical mind;
- Experience with performance measurement, research/evaluation, and data analysis;
- Demonstrated knowledge of criminal justice, behavioral health and health policy and programs;
- Demonstrated experience in policy formulation, analysis, advocacy, research or the like;
- Strong oral communication skills, including the ability to effectively distill and present complex information in a concise, accessible way;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including maturity, an ability to work independently and in a team setting, and a sense of humor;
- Efficient, organized work style, and an ability to prioritize quickly and confidently and manage multiple deadlines;
- Willingness to travel, occasionally several times per month.
- Training in corrections, community supervision, courts, clinical behavioral health, or law enforcement is a plus
At least four years of work experience in the fields of behavioral health, local, state government, or tribal nations, criminal justice, justice and/or local policy analysis; some preference for experience working with city or county or state policymakers.
A college degree (required) and a graduate degree in a related field, such as behavioral health, criminal justice, law, public health, public policy, or social work (preferred).
Physical requirements essential to perform the duties of the job
- Frequently communicates with internal and external coworkers and customers;
- Frequently views the computer to create policy briefs, memos, and presentations;
- Frequently remains in a sitting position to perform desk duties;
- Frequently uses the computer with fingers and hands;
- Frequently works in a well-lit, temperate room;
- Occasionally walks throughout office to communicate to coworkers;
- Seldom lifts objects, such as files or paper boxes, with weight up to 25 pounds.
Medical, Dental, Vision, Short & Long Term Disability, Life, Paid Holidays, Paid Personal Time, Paid Sick Time, Paid Parental Leave
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested individuals should upload the following elements (in pdf format) to: http://csg.applicantpro.com.
- Cover letter with salary requirement.
- Two writing samples (preferable no more than three pages)
- Names and contact information for references (at least three)
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.