2 Astor Place 3FL
About HMI: The Hetrick-Martin Institute (HMI) believes all young people, regardless of sexual orientation or identity, deserve a safe and supportive environment in which to achieve their full potential. HMI creates this environment for LGBTQ youth between the ages of 13 and 24 and their families. Through a comprehensive package of direct services and referrals, HMI seeks to foster healthy youth development, promotes excellence in the delivery of youth services and uses its expertise to create innovative programs that other organizations may replicate.
The Controller is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day finance and accounting operations and ensuring that there are appropriate systems, procedures and controls in place to support a high quality finance operation, effective program implementation and the organization’s mission and goals. This position is also responsible for the generation of internal and external financial statements and fiscal reports to document the financial transactions and fiscal health of the organization.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/JOB DUTIES
Management & Financial Leadership
· Supervises and oversees the work of the accounting department staff
· Directs and manages all the agency’s accounting and assigned budgeting functions.
· Works closely with Finance and Program staff to direct and handle all day-to-day operations, including general ledger; accounts payable/receivable; purchasing; payroll; bank reconciliations; insurance and tax reporting; as well as planning and monitoring of cash flow.
· Manages and trains appropriate staff on the payroll processing system utilizing ADP
· Supervises and trains Staff Accountant on entering financial data in our accounting system (Fund EZ) and reconciling petty cash, metro cards, gift cards, as well as handling the day-to-day activities of the finance office.
· Supervises the Senior Grants Accountant and oversees the management of grant/contracts administration ensuring HMI is complying with all funder requirements including reporting promptly.
· Formulates, recommends and implements sound fiscal policies, procedures and controls consistent with generally accepted accounting principles and agency policies.
· Ensures adherence to internal fiscal quality control systems throughout the agency.
· Resolves all issues, disputes and requests involving Hetrick-Martin Institute tax and reporting obligations with staff (W2s), consultants (1099s) and the appropriate tax authorities (IRS, NYS Depart. Of Finance).
Financial / Budget Reporting & Analysis
· Works with the Development and Program Departments to ensure that fiscal requirements for grants and contracts are identified, realized and monitored.
· Works in conjunction with the Senior Grants Accountant to ensure compliance with funder restrictions and reporting requirements.
· Develops systems for tracking and reporting all Fee-for-Service revenue.
· Works closely with Development on completing the monthly reconciliation reports.
· Works with appropriate program staff in developing all pre-award and responses to funding opportunities and RFP submissions.
· Works closely with the Finance and program staff to ensure that the monthly closing schedule is followed and deadlines are met.
· Provides the CFO with ad hoc reports from ADP.
· Maintains overall consolidated budget for the organization and provides the CFO with updated monthly reports.
· Monitors, analyzes and issues monthly operating results against budget for each program and on an agency-wide basis.
· Assists in preparation of the annual agency budget in coordination with CFO, Senior Managers, Program Directors and Senior Grants Accountant.
· Manages input of the Board-approved agency budget into our accounting system and produces budget to actual reports.
· Conducts monthly account analysis on all financial statement accounts.
· Issues draft financial statements for HMI and HMI: New Jersey to the CFO.
· Manages 401 (k) compliance processes such as reporting and periodic testing.
· Works closely with external auditors to ensure completion of the annual agency-wide financial audit on a timely basis.
· Prepares supporting financial schedules as necessary.
· Assist CFO and auditors in completing IRS Form 990 on a timely basis.
· Coordinates government agency and other outside audits.
May be assigned other related duties and responsibilities as determined by Management
EDUCATION | EXPERIENCE REQUREMENTS
· Master’s Degree in Accounting, Business or related field from an accredited college or university
plus at least 5 years’ experience as Finance Director or Controller for nonprofit, healthcare or related
business; or a Bachelor’s Degree plus 10 years professional accounting experience of which at
least 7 years were at Finance Director or Controller level.
· Certified Public Accountant (CPA) is strongly preferred
KNOWLEDGE | SKILL REQUREMENTS
· Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate technical budget and financial information to non-financial staff.
· Demonstrated and proven track record with automated financial systems
· Strong oral and written communication skills.
· Strong customer service skills.
· Ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team
· Knowledge of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender youth issues as well as multicultural competence.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
We respectfully request that you do not contact us to check the status of the recruiting process or of the materials you've submitted—your cooperation is appreciated.
To apply, please go to http://hmi.applicantpro.com/jobs/
HMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer