The Senior Staff Accountant is responsible for the maintenance of complete and accurate accounting records for the grants assigned.
Essential Job Functions:
- Conducts and oversees monthly budget review in order to effectively manage the financial activities of each grant to ensure that all activities fall within funder and agency guidelines.
- Prepares budget analysis and projections for cost-based grants and coordinates with program in meeting objectives for performance-based grants. Ensures that budget module is up to date and accurate.
- Responsible for the preparation and/or review of financial reports for submission to funding sources.
- Prepares budget proposals, modification and renewal budgets.
- Establishes audit schedule and coordinates funder audit. Prepares plan for corrective action, as needed.
- Maintains complete and accurate grant files and ensure financial system has the most up to date information
- Process requests for advances on new contracts and follow up on payments not received.
- Reconciles receivables and income earned from public and private sources.
- Prepares and process salary and otps allocation changes.
- Trains program staff on proper coding of expenditures and ensure proper coding of expenses.
- Reconciles and close grants on a timely basis.
- Prepares cash flow projection of service income.
- Prepares cost analysis and projection for development fund raising activities.
- Responsible for timely transfer of expenditures between funds, cost allocations and other schedules.
- Attends trainings, in order to be informed of any changes in funders’ requirements.
- Assists in the training and orientation for new Staff Accountants
- Provide support to Accounting Manager/Senior Director as well as provide backup to Staff Accountants within team
- Undertakes special projects as assigned.
Senior Staff Accountant will supervise 1-2 Staff Accountants.
Program staff, Funders
Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong oral and written communication skills are required.
- Also an advanced knowledge of Excel and Word are needed.
- The ability to work within strict time constraints and be able to manage multiple tasks at the same time is essential.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related field is required.
- A minimum of one to three years accounting experience is required
- At least one year of previous grant experience is preferred.
- 3 years of accounting experience, preferably working in the not for profit environment
- Salary Range for the position will be in the range of $55,000 - $60,000.
If hired, I agree to abide by all of Safe Horizon’s rules and regulations, and understand that, if employed, my employment may be terminated with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time, at the option of either the company or me. I further understand that no representation, whether oral or written by any representative or agent of the organization, at any time, constitutes a contract of employment
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply
Please follow this link to view complete EEO Law and complaint filing information:
Minimum Education Required