98 Carroll St.
Director of Development
Are you passionate about providing opportunities for individuals to rebuild their lives? The Rescue Mission of Trenton is looking to expand our team dedicated to providing an environment where one can live with dignity and experience hope.
For over 100 years, the Rescue Mission of Trenton has been the agency in the City of Trenton dedicated to providing food, shelter, and clothing to the needy men and women of Trenton. The Mission operates an emergency homeless shelter, a range of substance abuse treatment programs, and a variety of permanent supportive housing options.
The Director of Development is a new position at the Mission and is a critical component to achieving our Strategic Goals. The Director reports directly to CEO and is responsible for developing and implementing the Mission's fund development plan.
The successful candidate is responsible for articulating the case for support and funding needs for the Rescue Mission of Trenton and fostering robust relationships between donors and Mission leadership. Initiative, coupled with a sense of competitive drive, and the ability to stay focused on results despite changing conditions, is the key to achieving the performance objectives of this job. Because environmental and organizational conditions change rapidly, the work involves innovation and creativity in generating ideas for quick response. This is a fund-raising position where the majority of the performance review is based upon achieving annual revenue and development goals.
The Mission’s fund development elements include: new donor acquisition, lapsed donor mailings, annual giving, major gifts from individuals, planned giving, corporations, foundations, religious institutions, civic groups, and the execution of Mission signature miniature golf events.
Responsibilities of the position include:
· Implements, in conjunction with the Mission leadership team, fundraising strategies and tactics to generate restricted and unrestricted support (non-government funds). Work with the Chief Executive Officer, Consultants, Board, and Senior Executive Council leadership, to formulate and execute a long-term plan for development to include future fundraising goals and campaigns. Develop in concert with CEO annual fund development goals and quantifiable objectives for approval by Board of Directors.
· Conduct ongoing research to identify additional funding opportunities (individual, foundation, corporate) within the Mission’s strategic plan. Identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit, and steward gift prospects and donors primarily through personal contact, including solicitations, visits, correspondence. Build upon existing funder relationships and cultivate new corporate, individual, foundation donors, to support Mission priorities on an annual basis and to lay the groundwork for a potential major gift campaign in the future.
· Proactively ensure that the organization develops strong long-term relationships with large scale individual, religious, foundation, and corporate donors/funders. With CEO, builds and maintains key relationships to ensure fund development goals are achieved.
· Construct a compelling case for support for donors and members. Lead the effective communications of the Rescue Mission’s mission to donors and friends, via website, social media, news media, seasonal published newsletters, and promotional mailings
· Plan and manage major fundraising events and projects designed to advance the Mission strategically. Motivate staff and volunteers to execute annual community-focused special events and fundraisers
· Engage “volunteer champions” and cultivate relationships with large volunteer groups (ie corporate, religious, civic groups). Supervise volunteer management across the Mission.
· Oversee the management of the donor database and all related data entry, updating, and reporting. Continually analyze and synthesize donor data to determine when follow-up action is called for and measure efficacy of campaigns.
· Coordinate the work plan and delivery of marketing (collateral) materials, overseeing the outsourcing of work or utilization of existing staff where necessary.
· Craft and submit thoughtful, clear and compelling grant proposals to foundations and corporations as identified. Maintain and implement detailed calendar of pending requests, future proposals, and report deadlines.
· Provide work direction and supervision for assigned personnel. Create an environment that promotes teamwork, personal growth, job satisfaction, and positive results.
· Undertake special projects as assigned by the CEO.
Skills and Qualifications:
· A bachelor’s degree plus a minimum of five years of demonstrated success in major gift fundraising from various sources is required. At least three years at the senior level. Documented success in raising funds using a number of different approaches.
· Must have excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills. Ability to represent the Mission positively in a variety of settings.
· Highly skilled proposal writer. A writing sample, such as a proposal will be requested as part of the interview process.
· Possess strong computer skills and high level of comfort with technology. Required: proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, social media, and email marketing software. Familiarity with Donor Perfect and Constant Contact is a plus.
· Position requires an understanding of relationship building with volunteers, donors and prospects.
· Initiative and the ability to manage time to meet defined performance and activity goals. Must be highly motivated, self-directed, and innovative.
· Strong attention to detail
· Discretion in handling confidential information
· Knowledge of local and national funding community is a plus.
· Sincere interest in working for a mission-driven organization like the Rescue Mission of Trenton.
Resumes submitted without a cover letter will not be considered. Resumes will be reviewed the week of August 6, 2018.
Salary range: $65,000 - $85,000, with competitive benefits package
Schedule: Monday – Friday 8a – 4p – flexible hours permitted
The Rescue Mission of Trenton is an equal opportunity employer and values a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture.
A lucrative benefit package that includes a pension plan and matching deferrals
Minimum Education Required