1200 New York Avenue Northwest
District of Columbia
Who We Are
"The advancement of science should be the chief concern of a nation that would conserve and increase the welfare of its people."
-James McKeen Cattell, former AAAS President and Editor of Science
The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) is an international non-profit organization dedicated to advancing science for the benefit of all people. For over a century, AAAS has been a force for science, from helping to establish science as a credible field in the 19th century to using satellite imaging technology to document human rights abuses in 2007. We are recognized as the world’s largest general scientific society and the proud publisher of the Science family of journals. Past presidents have included astronomer Edward Charles Pickering, anthropologist Margaret Mead, and biologist Stephen Jay Gould. Our mission is centered on the belief that STEM research and education can help solve many of the challenges the world faces today.
AAAS is a culture steeped in history, but adaptive to change and new ideas. We recognize the hard work of our employees and encourage the development of our staff. Our colleagues represent an array of expertise from scholarly publishing to digital marketing, educational research to government relations, all with a shared focus on mission. At AAAS, you are part of a talented team, dedicated to advancing science and serving society.
Work with Us
We have an exciting full-time opportunity for a Web Producer to join the News and information team in our Washington, D.C., office. Reporting to the Director of News and Information, this individual will play a critical role in curating, producing, and promoting content.
Tasks include, posting news content to the AAAS.org home page and news / events pages within a content management system; generating customized media lists from a database; posting event notices to the website; e-mailing media advisories and daybook notices to journalists via Mail Chimp; sizing artwork for online posting; developing media-placement reports for the Board of Directors; management of the AAAS Twitter and Facebook accounts; handling basic writing assignments (i.e., event and daybook notices); and other duties as assigned. The right candidate also covers events and writes stories for AAAS.org. Writing and video skills would be a plus.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Provide speedy technical support to ensure that AAAS news stories are promptly and correctly posted to the AAAS.org website, using a Drupal 7 content management system.
· Size photographs, using Photoshop, for correct display on the AAAS website.
· Develop customized media lists, based on key criteria for specific AAAS news releases.
· E-mail AAAS news to daybook editors and journalists, using MailChimp (or a comparable tool).
· Post news releases to the EurekAlert! website.
· Regularly post appropriate content to the AAAS Twitter feed and Facebook account, based on instructions provided by the AAAS Social Media Director and Chief Communications Officer.
· Recruit artwork and secure permissions for use, as needed.
· Prepare media-placement reports for the Board of Directors.
· Handle basic writing assignments, as needed (i.e., event and daybook notices).
· As feasible, handle basic video-production assignments.
· Two to three years’ experience
· Bachelor’s degree
· Strong computer skills, including familiarity with content management systems (i.e., Drupal 7), Photoshop, MailChimp, media databases such as Cision and Burrelles Luce, Word, and Excel
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
· Demonstrated ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
- Proven organizational skills
- Strong customer-service focus, compatible with media relations
- Basic writing and video-production skills would be a plus.
Interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter, and work samples or a link to portfolio by May 7, 2018. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If we think you might be a good fit for the role, we will contact you with next steps.
AAAS is an EEO employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected category. AAAS uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees
Minimum Education Required