One Washington Mall
Economic Mobility Pathways (EMPath) transforms lives by helping people move out of poverty and provides other organizations with the tools to do the same. As a leading nonprofit innovator that combines program delivery, independent research, and public advocacy, we offer a wide range of rewarding career opportunities. EMPath is committed to recruiting, hiring, and sustaining a diverse workforce. All qualified individuals, regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, gender expression, sexuality, age, disability or veteran status, are strongly encouraged to apply. We are an EEO/AA/ADA/ADEA employer based in Boston, Massachusetts.
Position Title: Communications Associate
GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
The Communications Associate is a full-time, professional, permanent position based in Boston, MA. The ideal candidate will have at least one to two years of successful experience in public relations, including a proven record of generating story ideas, crafting and executing strategic media plans, and garnering coverage.
The candidate will also bring excellent writing and social media skills and have impeccable attention to detail. She or he will be able to manage a range of different tasks and feel comfortable working on tight deadlines.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for EMPath’s mission and an intellectual curiosity for current events and public policy related to EMPath’s work. Because the position requires communicating and working effectively with a range of staff, organizations, scholars, reporters, and program participants, the ideal candidate will have strong interpersonal skills.
This position offers considerable opportunities for growth, so the best candidate will have a real desire to learn and improve his or her professional skills.
Supervisor: Director of Marketing and Communications
ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF THE JOB:
· Develop media and communications strategies; conduct extensive media outreach; facilitate stories by working with staff, participants and reporters; and secure coverage of EMPath as a leading anti-poverty and economic mobility organization.
· Draft press releases, statements, op-eds, and other press-related materials.
· Establish and maintain media relations with local, regional, national, and key international print and broadcast media, as well as online/digital outlets and blogs.
· Prepare staff and participants for interviews.
· Field incoming requests from reporters, journalists, and other organizations.
· Coordinate logistics of press interviews, press conferences, and other PR-related programs.
· Gain working knowledge of organization’s wide array of initiatives and maintain an up-to-date knowledge of all events.
· Create and maintain tailored media lists.
· Track coverage of EMPath and maintain clips on an ongoing basis.
· Monitor press coverage on topics related to EMPath’s work.
· Plan social media posts and campaigns to align with current events and EMPath’s strategic vision.
· Draft engaging and interesting social media content that promotes EMPath’s mission and dovetails with different departments: research, public policy, and institutional advancement, as well as EMPath’s direct service and global partnership work.
· Edit photos and videos to ensure high quality posts.
· Create infographics and other creative content.
· Maintain daily presence by interacting with key organizations, reporters, and influencers.
· Update website with new content.
· Manage inquiries that come in through the website.
· Draft content, as needed (newsletters, annual report, invitations).
· Create first drafts of content placement within Mail Chimp and InDesign.
• Bachelor’s Degree
• At least one to two years of demonstrable public relations, communications, or journalism experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
• Personal integrity, optimism, and sense of humor are required.
• Detail-oriented with the ability to work on multiple projects from start to finish.
• Knowledge of issues relating to poverty, brain science, and/or economic mobility helpful, but not required.
• Tech savvy, with strong experience in social platforms.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office and MailChimp preferred.
• Experience with desktop publishing software (MS Publisher and Adobe Creative Suite, particularly InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop).
• Ability to work quickly and accurately under pressure, both individually and as part of a team.
• Sensitivity to the challenges facing low-income families.
• Maturity and ability to protect confidential and sensitive information.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS:
Requires prolonged sitting, some bending, stooping and stretching. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculator and other office equipment. Work is performed in an office environment.
Minimum Education Required