College Counselor at Match Charter Public School in Boston (2018-19 Opening)
- Job posted by Match Education
Full Time Contract
1001 Commonwealth Avenue
Position: College Counselor
Location: Brighton, MA (High School Campus)
Start date: August, 2017
ABOUT THE MATCH CHARTER PUBLIC SCHOOL
The Match Public Charter School is a high-performing, innovative charter public school in Boston, serving students from Pre-K to 12th grade on multiple campuses across the city. Our mission is to prepare students from Boston’s inner city for success in college and beyond. Match Charter Public School students are some of the highest performing students in the state, and over 80% of our graduating seniors enter four year colleges every year (For more information on our results, please visit us at http://www.matchschool.org)
Our school has a unique model: Match students do up to two hours of small group tutoring as part of our school day, every day. We also emphasize incredibly high expectations for all of our students – both behaviorally and academically – and truly believe all students can and will succeed.
OVERVIEW OF ROLE
The College Counselor is a full-time position at the Match high school. S/he is responsible for preparing all students in grades 9-11 for the college application process. This includes college readiness lessons, college visits and SAT registration. S/he will report to and assist as necessary the Director of College Counseling who oversees the college application process with seniors.
SPECIFIC JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
As College Counselor, you will:
● Teach a college readiness class to one or two sections of Juniors using the OneGoal curriculum.
● Deliver college readiness lessons to 9th-11th graders to prepare them for college visits and, ultimately, the decisions they will need to make as seniors
● Plan and execute a series of college visits for grades 9 -11.
● Work in collaboration with the operations director to oversee the preparation, registration and testing for PSAT, SAT, and SAT Subject Tests
● Support the Director of college counseling in supporting seniors through all aspects of the college application process.
● Write recommendation letters for each about 20 seniors.
● Manage outside partnerships with organizations that provide extracurricular opportunities for our students.
● Be responsible for data management in the Naviance college tracking system.
● Actively pursue professional development opportunities that cover all aspects of college placement: financial aid, scholarships, applications, and standards.
● Maintain regular communication with parents
● Support the logistics, planning, and execution of senior college events, including Senior Cloaking Day, Senior Signing Day, Senior Dinner, and Graduation.
As a member of the high school faculty, you will:
● Uphold high academic and behavioral expectations for students, and provide lots of support for getting students there;
● Participate actively in Match’s coaching and professional development programming;
● Assist with school programming as needed during non-instructional time; and
● Serve as a positive and collaborative member of the Match Charter Public School community
Competitive applicants will:
● Have at least two years experience as a college counselor or doing closely related work. Prior work with high school-aged students strongly preferred
● Have experience in an urban education setting
● Maintain an unwavering commitment to the Match Education mission, and a desire to see all students succeed.
● Believe that all students can and will succeed;
● Possess desire to continually improve their practice by taking and implementing feedback;
● Be highly organized and detail-oriented
● Appreciate a good sense of humor.
ABOUT MATCH EDUCATION
Match Education (www.matcheducation.org) is the shared brand name of The Match Charter Public School, The Match School Foundation, Inc., and The Sposato Graduate School of Education®.
Match Education is an engine of discovery and applied innovation in education. We operate high-performing urban public charter schools and a unique graduate school of education that trains teachers for high-poverty schools. Out of this applied work, we refine, validate empirically, and eventually disseminate new ideas and practices on core questions in education reform. (For a video snapshot, please click here.)
The Match Foundation, Inc., The Charles Sposato Graduate School of Education, Inc., and Match Charter Public School prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, religion, veteran status, and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination under state or federal law in any aspect of the access to, admission, or treatment of students in its programs and activities, or in employment and application for employment.
Minimum Education Required